Test tubes

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
SebbyBC
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:28 pm
Location: Aldergrove

Test tubes

Post: # 50830Post SebbyBC
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:44 am

Hey everybody, I need to buy some test tubes but I don’t want to buy online. Does anybody know any stores in Canada/BC where they sell test tubes? Also would you recommend plastic or glass?
Thank you.
SebbyBC

Boomdale
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:49 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Test tubes

Post: # 50877Post Boomdale
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:39 pm

I have plastic because that was the easiest for me to go down to the store and grab but I don't recommend them. They scratch and make it difficult to see into the tube. Next spring I will pick up some glass ones.
Nylanderia Sp.
Pheidole Sp.

Founding - Cremagastor & Solonopsis Invicta

SebbyBC
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:28 pm
Location: Aldergrove

Re: Test tubes

Post: # 50948Post SebbyBC
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Boomdale wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:39 pm
I have plastic because that was the easiest for me to go down to the store and grab but I don't recommend them. They scratch and make it difficult to see into the tube. Next spring I will pick up some glass ones.
Do you know stores that sell plastic or glass? I just need some for queens. I have none and I’m trying to make do.

Boomdale
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:49 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Test tubes

Post: # 50949Post Boomdale
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 pm

I bought my plastic ones from Walmart, in the US. I bought tubes of glitter for like 30 cents and then washed them out and have currently successfully founded two colonies in them. Glass ones I’m going to get off Amazon.com
Nylanderia Sp.
Pheidole Sp.

Founding - Cremagastor & Solonopsis Invicta

JoeHostile1
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:51 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Test tubes

Post: # 51090Post JoeHostile1
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:23 am

You said you don’t want to buy online, but tarheelants.com sells really nice glass ones that are large diameter. AntsCanada sells small diameter plastic ones. As far as walking into a store and buying them, probably not. You would have to find something to make do like Boomdale said. Floral shops have things called water picks, that’s probably your best bet
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

SebbyBC
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:28 pm
Location: Aldergrove

Re: Test tubes

Post: # 51199Post SebbyBC
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Boomdale wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:50 pm
I bought my plastic ones from Walmart, in the US. I bought tubes of glitter for like 30 cents and then washed them out and have currently successfully founded two colonies in them. Glass ones I’m going to get off Amazon.com
That’s a good idea. I’m going to see if I can find something like that

SebbyBC
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:28 pm
Location: Aldergrove

Re: Test tubes

Post: # 51200Post SebbyBC
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:34 pm

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:23 am
You said you don’t want to buy online, but tarheelants.com sells really nice glass ones that are large diameter. AntsCanada sells small diameter plastic ones. As far as walking into a store and buying them, probably not. You would have to find something to make do like Boomdale said. Floral shops have things called water picks, that’s probably your best bet
I know what you’re talking about. But I just found a glass test tube at Micheal’s. It’s about 6” long and maybe 3/4” wide. It is a bit big but I’m gonna see if I can find something like Boomdale said.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests