Should I add workers in with caught queen?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Calamity

Should I add workers in with caught queen?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:02 am

I caught a lasius (not a parasite)queen about 4 days ago. There were two queens in roughly the same area. I was wanting with my nephew who couldn't wait and kept overturning g rocks before I could look.
I caught the two queens but I don't know who is who. There were a few workers near each queen when I caught them.
After identification on here someone suggested I put in workers with the queen.

I caught some workers under the same rock a couple days after catching the Queens. I don't know what queen they belong to if they do at all.
Should I risk putting a queen in the jar with them?

LearningAntz

Re: Should I add workers in with caught queen?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:19 am

Calamity wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:02 am
I caught a lasius (not a parasite)queen about 4 days ago. There were two queens in roughly the same area. I was wanting with my nephew who couldn't wait and kept overturning g rocks before I could look.
I caught the two queens but I don't know who is who. There were a few workers near each queen when I caught them.
After identification on here someone suggested I put in workers with the queen.

I caught some workers under the same rock a couple days after catching the Queens. I don't know what queen they belong to if they do at all.
Should I risk putting a queen in the jar with them?
I would not recommend adding workers. Only certain species of Lasius are polygynous, such as Lasius flavus, Lasius brevicornis, and Lasius nearcticus. It’s difficult to distinguish between queens without close examination. For example Lasius neoniger can only be distinguished from Lasius pallitarsis by the offset tooth present in Lasius pallitarsis and both those species have erect hairs present on their antennal scapes. Lasius brevicornis has appressed hairs on their antennal scapes.

I wouldn’t add in the workers, as even in polygynous species it doesn’t always work out. Lasius colonies grow fast anyway, with some first year colonies exceeding 200 workers.

Calamity

Re: Should I add workers in with caught queen?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am

Thank you. I didn't think it was a good idea but I had to ask.
The one queen I have left seems to be doing ok. I'll just keep an eye on her every week or so.
I guess I'll foster these workers for a few months and let them die naturally. My nephew might think these guys are cool on their own to study anyway.
Ant love through the generations!