Strange ant behavior - Polyrhachis (ammon?)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Chainsawer69

Strange ant behavior - Polyrhachis (ammon?)

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:43 am

Yesterday I found a young colony of Polyrhachis (looks to be ammon). I have them in a tank that has a base of sand, initially they were placed in with some soil that got into the container as I collected them, they seemed happy to stay in the tiny amount of soil, so I added some more soil and placed a rock on top of it right next to the soil they were already established on.

Here's the strange part!!:

They are currently all gathered far away from the soil sitting on the sand next to a fake plant (they're kind of just huddling together, also with brood).

I'm a little concerned, maybe I should add some moisture to a section of soil?

LearningAntz

Re: Strange ant behavior - Polyrhachis (ammon?)

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:40 am

Are you sure they aren’t arboreal?

Chainsawer69

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:07 am

I forgot to mention that I found them established under a rock in the soil. So I know that they can be happy in soil. Since making the original post I have noticed an ant moving a small stick close to the nest, I have also observed the ants foraging but seemingly not for food or water. So I think they want to attempt to build up some kind of nest in their chosen location. I provided some leaves and they moves one piece close to the nest.

They don't seem to be in a rush to do anything though, so over the next few days I will try to add a variety of building materials and perhaps some objects that they may find appealing to nest inside of. I'd appreciate any tips to my case, I don't want these beauties to pass!

Chainsawer69

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:52 am

The ants have moved into soil! I noticed the soil I initially provided for my ants was quite gross, it was littered with dog hair, exoskeletons of bugs and what not. I replaced it with some potting mix and poked a nice starter hole and ~4 days latter they moved in. I caught the moment as well!

Initially I was worried because it looked like a worker was attacking the queen, but it turns out the worker was just carrying her highness to the new nest (I'd have to guess because she didn't know where to go, as I've seen her happily walking about multiple times). I won't have as good of a view anymore but hopefully they'll be happier tucked away under soil. It was great watching these ants while they were on the surface. They moved allot of soil around where they were nesting but not directly where they spent the bulk of their time, that space remained occupied by sand.

An important point to note that may of influenced the move: I've mostly been keeping a lid on the set-up, though the lid was off for an hour or two when the ants decided to move. This may have shifted the humidity levels, therefore making soil more appealing?

Boomdale

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 am

Humidity, light, temperature, and even and increase in wind from the lid being off. I am happy that your colony has moved in and seems to be doing well!
Nylanderia Sp.
Pheidole Sp.

Founding - Cremagastor & Solonopsis Invicta