Brachymyrmex Depilis care sheet?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MorbidBugg

Brachymyrmex Depilis care sheet?

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:46 pm

I don't seem to see a care sheet for this species. So. Let's here your personal colony care sheet what goods have worked what ration of sugar water or if they even like it? Also any care sheet that is closely resembled to depilis that you believe would work well. Next year if all goes well for winter time I will make an official post of a care sheet for those in the future.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

TheRealAntMan

Re: Brachymyrmex Depilis care sheet?

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:43 am

Brachymyrmex is an easy genus to care for. While I myself have never kept Brachymyrmex Depilis, I have kept other species from this genus. Once they receive about 9-10 workers I gave them their first drop of honey water (never use pure honey, they can't pull away). They also never accept anything other than fruit flies and small spiders. I would also never hibernate them for more than 3 months. For some reason they tend to die if left in hibernation for longer. Ask any other questions if need be.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

MorbidBugg

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 am

Great burst of info.

Couple of questions.
Do they prefer a false nest or a dirt nest?
How long roughly for workers to show up (I assume pretty quick because of the monomorpgic tininess)

What's a good temp for these guys it sounds like their akin is pretty thin don't wanna flash freeze em.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

TheRealAntMan

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 pm

I kept them in dirt nests similar to the ones AC kept his old Carebara Diversa. For hibernation I kept them at 56-59 degrees Fahrenheit. The workers won't be arriving until after hibernation so no need to worry about them now. If they are kept warm they should arrive in 4-5 weeks. They don't grow to fast but the longest I've ever was 2 and a half years.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.