Not much movement

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Mcrummett

Not much movement

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 am

Hi all. First time trying to raise a colony so a little unsure. I’ve had the queen since June/July and she now has about 14/15 workers with her. When I checked up on today most of the workers are barely moving at all. She is moving though. Could they be slowing down for hibernation already?

It’s a nervous hobby in terms of not knowing if you’re going to leave them be to get on with it while they may already be dead :/

AntsDakota

Re: Not much movement

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Mcrummett wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 am
Hi all. First time trying to raise a colony so a little unsure. I’ve had the queen since June/July and she now has about 14/15 workers with her. When I checked up on today most of the workers are barely moving at all. She is moving though. Could they be slowing down for hibernation already?

It’s a nervous hobby in terms of not knowing if you’re going to leave them be to get on with it while they may already be dead :/
Are you feeding them carbohydrates and protein? That is a healthy ant diet.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

Mcrummett

Re: Not much movement

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:39 pm

Yes I’ve had some “protein shake” I was sent with the queen. And I’ve given them honey and sugar water. So hopefully okay. I’ll need to get proper protein going forward so will buy some meal worms