Queen won't move out of moldy test tube.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

loupgaroupgris

Queen won't move out of moldy test tube.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Like the title says the queen does not want to move even if she is exposed to light what should i do?

Darkhero0987

Re: Queen won't move out of moldy test tube.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 am

loupgaroupgris wrote:
Like the title says the queen does not want to move even if she is exposed to light what should i do?

How long has it been ?
Founding:

Keeping

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:50 am

If it's only the queen without workers you could try to make her drop into the new setup by turning the tube upside down to make her lose grip and then drop her into the new testtube. If she got workers you might just need to wait for them to make the move.

Perhaps show us a picture or two of the current situation.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

loupgaroupgris

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 am

Darkhero0987 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 am
loupgaroupgris wrote:

How long has it been ?
A week I think also I will try getting some photos later. Maybe she's sick or something?

loupgaroupgris

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:12 am

Sorry for the late reply i was busy. Got some photos but sadly I was not able to get a good look at the queen since she is camouflaged by the moss.
https://postimg.cc/image/4lwdux8qj/4160f114/

IndoAnts

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:43 am

Ive also actually had the same experience before. Based on my experience,try to turn the lights off during night time and you should be able to see the whole colony transfer everything to the new test tube/formicarium. I think its because they feel more protected and comfortable moving their brood at night as predators in the wild might interfere or attack when moving the whole colony during daylight. If they still wouldnt move, its probably due to the new setup not having their requirements(moisture, darkness, space, etc.). This is only based on my experience though( and sorry for my bad english)

loupgaroupgris

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:21 am

IndoAnts wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:43 am
Ive also actually had the same experience before. Based on my experience,try to turn the lights off during night time and you should be able to see the whole colony transfer everything to the new test tube/formicarium. I think its because they feel more protected and comfortable moving their brood at night as predators in the wild might interfere or attack when moving the whole colony during daylight. If they still wouldnt move, its probably due to the new setup not having their requirements(moisture, darkness, space, etc.). This is only based on my experience though( and sorry for my bad english)
Alright thanks for the suggestion i will try it and report if anything occurs.
PS your English is not that bad don't worry.

loupgaroupgris

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 am

She came out of her test tube to eat some honey that I've set up in the portal but then she just went back inside of her moldy test tube instead of picking the new clean one.

In and unrelated note I have another queen in a test tube and she's doing great so i put her with a portal but i see none of her workers moving out of it. If i want to feed then do I need to wait until I see them moving out of the original test tube to feed them or just put something there and wait until they pick it up?

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:10 am

Put something into the testtube and try to clean it up with a pair of tweezers and some toiletpaper just to get the worst out. But be carefull not to squeeze them :P
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.