EMERGENCY MITES!!!!!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Michaelc95

EMERGENCY MITES!!!!!

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Please help, I just discovered the my Camponotus colony has mites. I am in the middle of moving my colony of 15 and a queen from the a test tube and a mini outworld to a hybrid nest 2.0. How do i get rid of the mites before its to late!!!
Keeper of Camponotus pennsylvanicus

CampoKing

Re: EMERGENCY MITES!!!!!

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:12 am

Well, just a minute, is there any way for you to include pictures of these mites?
Or a description?
Cuz not all mites are bad (ex. wood mites) and some bugs aren't mites at all (springtails).
Keeper of Camponotus:
C. pennsylvanicus, C. subbarbatus, C. nearcticus

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 am

Don't worry Michael. We will try to help you as good as possible. What you can do is: Send us some pictures if possible of what you call Mites. Are they attached to the Ants bodies? If so are the ants twitching or struggling? So far we had some experiences with mites on the AntsCanada channel so we can try to help you with those tips and some might be able to help you a bit more.

The most important would be that you try to show us those mites if you can manage to or at least describe what you are seeing. Second if they are really mites we could try a orange and lemon therapy which I need first to look up again to not tell you a lot of nonsense. It could help the colony to deal with those mites by moving them into a new nest away from the mites. Which gives the ants new fresh space which isn't infested. Usually the mites will eventually fall off or the ants to which those mites are attached will die out over time without the rest being infested as well.

Anyway. Try to show us and we will try to help you. :D
Don't worry. We will stick together.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

PwnerPie

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:47 pm

put a piece of lemon in the test tube with them before you move them. its supposed to help
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.