Fungal growth

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Cheesefish77

Fungal growth

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:24 pm

I have a small T. immigrans colony in a test tube, and I recently noticed a white mold growing on the floor of the test tube. I believe it is from excess water and cotton, as the ants dug a hole in the cotton blocking the water, and a small amount may have leaked. I tried connecting them to a fresh test tube setup to try and get them to move into it so I could clean out their old one. They are not willing to move however, I even tried using light to encourage them but that just made the queen hide in the hole in the cotton. Any advice on what to do here, if I should attempt to clean the test tube with the colony in there, or what should be done about this? I will need to move them out soon anyway, as they are running low on water in the test tube, as they have lived in it for several months. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Keeper of:
T. immigrans

Founding:
P. occidentalis

TheRealAntMan

Re: Fungal growth

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:56 am

Try a tiny bit of heat. But if they aren't moving, then they don't need to. Ants know what's best for themselves.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

Cheesefish77

Re: Fungal growth

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:59 pm

I checked back after going to the doctors for a couple hours and found that they had moved over anyway. Seems like they decided it was a good idea after all.
Keeper of:
T. immigrans

Founding:
P. occidentalis