Re: Help, she's dying... I think

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:31 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:18 am
Darkhero0987 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 am
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:43 am

I'm not sure whether or not it's true but I think that ants actually can see red light. So I would much rather keep them in the darkness. It would actually be great, to have that fact checked because if it's true that they can't see red light, then why would one of my older colonies decide that a piece of green tube is much better than a piece of red tubing/an area in red light? Both areas were humite but it's still very strange to have the queen sitting in a green area instead of a red one :/

You know what I mean?
A lot of ants are blind to red light from my understanding not sure if all
They say ants can’t see the COLOR red. This somehow got twisted into ants can’t see light coming from light bulbs that are tinted red or that somehow a red tint can somehow cancel out light. That’s basicly saying that something that is red is invisible to the ants because they can’t see the COLOR red. If you think about it this makes no sense; that would imply that if we paint a rock red ants will not see the rock. This is not how being color blind works. They can still see the rock it would just not appear red to them. So why would red light be invisible if the rock is not invisible?

Light and color are two different things. Light is actually every color in the rainbow, not yellow, red ect. If we were apply this same logic to someone who is color blind( let’s say they can’t see the color green) then we would be able trick them into thinking that all their lights in their house are burnt out by tinting all the their lightbulbs green. They would turn on the light and since it’s tinted green and they can’t see the COLOR green apparently then it would be pitch black. This is not the case, they would see the light it just wouldn’t be tinted green.

All of this is completely beside the point because most Ants have Ocelli eyes that they use to detect light, which have absolutely nothing to do with color at all. They’re not detecting red light, green light, white light, they are simply detecting light.
Ya they would just see the red color as another color wavelength the light wouldn't disappear
Founding:

Keeping

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 am

Darkhero0987 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:26 am
Glass has a hard time holding heat if I remember right so plastic would hold it better meaning the water would evaporate faster I would assume that would be my guess on that. just get them to move test tubes once the water gets super low they will notice the tube isnt staying humid enough and will move quickly or mine did anyways. then one your bigger set up is done just put the testtube in there
Oh don't worry about it. I got everything planned out. But it's actually good to know why the water is so low in that testtube. Although the tube gets colder much easier I will definetly stay with glass because it's less easier to scratch, easier to clean and I think better to test the colony on their climbing skills :D

I think the colony can survive with the rest of the water in there but I will also have to check on them every now and then and then let them move out when time is right. They will get a bigger setup only next year if their queen is still arround.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

argh226

Re: Help, she's dying... I think - part 2

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:42 pm

The last "queen" is still not dead after 1 week +. As weird as it sounds its the first time, so it means I'm doing something right. However, she still has not laid any egg.

I can see she's calm, moving a little, staying close of the water. The antenna moves as well... all good thing, she's alive!

She might have not mated yet though, might have been took off ground too soon. Should I try to capture males and put them in if its the case?

The nest near by is still quite active of males occasionally.

argh226

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Well... that other one is also dead...

:|

How often do I need to change/clean the tube? It was rather clean to me, but cotton might have been darker... Was that too late already?

Thanks!

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:53 am

Hm I haven't changed water for my colonies yet :/
But as long as the water looks clear and the cotton hasn't got moldy they should be fine. sometimes the mold doesn't even affect the ants but that depends on the mold and the species.

I hope you get lucky with your next colony tho. Perhaps use the remaining workers to study them a bit more. I for example still got some messor barbarus workers and I found out that they would rather starve than eat apple or cherry seeds. But they seemed to like my pumpkin seed I offered them. :P
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

argh226

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:38 am

My water was clean.
The cotton was getting black on the side of the ant. The ant was dead before laying any eggs, so wasn't a queen yet. There was like some mold near the head that was laying on the tube and some more on the leg that was touching the tube.

I haven't got much luck so far, but will try again on spring...