Queen wont move eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Dandolfi

Queen wont move eggs

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Hey there, i recently caught a Lacius niger queen ant she layed her fiest batch of eggs about 2 weeks ago, but around a 10 days ago the cotton started to develop mold. After around 5 or 6 days of light exposure my queen moved to a clean setup. But she didnt move her eggs with her. I didnt think to much of it and tought it would be best to keep the tubes connected and cover them both and let my queen rest. But after checking on her today she has laid a few nee eggs in the clean testube, while the old eggs (around 2 weeks old now) are still in the moldy testubs. Should i give her time, are the old eggs dead? Also i suspect that she has waren a few of her egges during and after the moving. But still around 7/10 remain.

Alexander

Re: Queen wont move eggs

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:28 am

The queen might not have moved the eggs whith her because they have been afected by the mold outbreak, if thats the case you are alright because the queen has already moved on and laid another batch of eggs!
However, the queen might also not have moved the eggs because she got stressed out by the light (seems a litle far fetched to me) and if thats the case you are also ok because the queen has already moved on...
Either way you are alright, if i were you i would just disconnect the moldy test tube and place the queen somewhere she can't be disturbed.
Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Messor barbarus
Campanotus Barbaricus
Tetramorium Caespitum
Campanotus Vagus
Tapinoma nigerium
Iberoformica subrufa

Dandolfi

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Alexander wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:28 am
The queen might not have moved the eggs whith her because they have been afected by the mold outbreak, if thats the case you are alright because the queen has already moved on and laid another batch of eggs!
However, the queen might also not have moved the eggs because she got stressed out by the light (seems a litle far fetched to me) and if thats the case you are also ok because the queen has already moved on...
Either way you are alright, if i were you i would just disconnect the moldy test tube and place the queen somewhere she can't be disturbed.
thanks for the advice! i disconnected the moldy testube and put a tiny drop of honey in the new one, i tought that might be smart as she wont get the protein from the old eggs back.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:30 am

About the eggs. That happens sometimes. Queens abandon/eat their eggs if they get too stressed. About the honey. You should remove it until she got her first workers. Lasius Niger queens aren't queens which need food during founding and it can stress them out to have food lying arround all the time.

I also had a queen which needed a new testtube and I managed to move her eggs with a very small pincer. I did break some of them by accident but I moved most of the eggs to the new setup. I can't remember which one it was however. :/

Anyway. Keep the colony in a dark and warm spot (arround 20-25°C) so the brood can develop nicely :D
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.