Total noob question in regards to ant hunting

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Gatekey56

Total noob question in regards to ant hunting

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Hey simple question , when is the best time to go out for an ant walk? Its raining right now, and i was wondering would it be best to head out an hour or so after it stops, or should i wait for tomorrow afternoon? whats been best in yalls experence?

cheetawolf

Re: Total noob question in regards to ant hunting

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:07 pm

go tomorrow in the afternoon, look for queens where there is lots of greenery and maybe a body of water nearby.
happy hunting!
Fellow Ant Keeper!
Youtuber
Channel name: Evador (please check out my channel that would be epic)
link-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7SIjQbnXF6_w-5cCT9A7A

GAN farmer in BC Canada

MorbidBugg

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Well I've honestly had good experiences all around. Like if it stops a few hours before the sun goes down check out near light posts on streets as they will sometimes mate under that light and you can get lucky to find a bunch of queens on the ground around them that have already she'd their wings. This also works if stores have bright lights.

If it rains into the dark wait for the Crack of dawn the humidity will kick in and you'll see them flying (they remind me of space rockets launching in feilds lol) an hour or two after you've seen them fly check along any sort of path or surface that cuts along a grass side and you'll have a greater success. And I can't stress enough look under debris on sidewalks and cracks I can't count how many times I've been suprised.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

Gatekey56

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:06 pm

cheetawolf wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:07 pm
go tomorrow in the afternoon, look for queens where there is lots of greenery and maybe a body of water nearby.
happy hunting!
Thanks!! i hope to find something new

AntnoobSG

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Gatekey56 wrote:
Hey simple question , when is the best time to go out for an ant walk? Its raining right now, and i was wondering would it be best to head out an hour or so after it stops, or should i wait for tomorrow afternoon? whats been best in yalls experence?
You are in Singapore right?
Keeper of :
Camponotus albosparsus x2 :o
Camponotus Irritans ;)
Hoping for pheidole colony :D

Gatekey56

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:31 pm

AntnoobSG wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:44 pm
Gatekey56 wrote:
You are in Singapore right?
nope other side of the world there XD live in Texas

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:40 am

I myself had luck a couple of times. Usually on a nice dry and sunny day. Saddly only after work. Some species fly only during night, some during noon and some in the evenings. I think it depends on what you are looking for. Also here a tip from me to catch them. Perhaps get a couple of containers one to catch them and another one to keep them. During your search. I used a waterbottle I just bought and went looking arround to catch some. I noticed however that I had the same queen a couple of times and caught a total of 7 Lasius Niger Queens during that day.

I used the waterbottel because it was a nice 25cl bottle. Clear to see through and it had enough space to hold a couple of queens at once. I used a plastic card (like a creditcard but don't use that but something similar) to life them up and put them onto my hand. Some of them were really fast. :P

That day basicly was the fuckening for lasius niger ants. Exactly 7 days later another round. xD
But I didn't caught too many queens. So keep in mind don't catch too many ants unless you are willing to care for them or unless you want to keep a couple of diffrent species. :D
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

PwnerPie

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 pm

I just go for walks during my breaks at work. Also walks with my kids. Day or previous day hasnt made too much of a difference to me. Just go for walks when its hot and you'll have chance at some queens! =)
Keeper of:
1x Formica Pacifica
2x Camponotus Modoc
1x Tetramorium Immigrans
2x Lasius Sp

Founding:
3x Lasius Sp
2x Formica Argentea
2x Myrmica Rubra

GAN Farmer: 4 Colonies sold
Goal: Supply school science classes with colonies for learning.