How to add water to test tube?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Aaron567

How to add water to test tube?

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:18 pm

I have a very small queen (about 4mm) and she laid eggs a while ago, but now she has ran out of water in the test tube and she has eaten her eggs. How do I add more water in the test tube without having to get her out and disturb her? Is there a way?

larynx

Re: How to add water to test tube?

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:25 pm

She needs to be moved to a fresh tube.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Aaron567

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:13 pm

larynx wrote:She needs to be moved to a fresh tube.
Ok, I will do that, but if she actually had a brood or some workers in there would I just tape two test tubes together and shine a light on the old test tube would the queen move her brood? I would hate to stress out the queen too much.

larynx

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:50 pm

Aaron567 wrote:
Ok, I will do that, but if she actually had a brood or some workers in there would I just tape two test tubes together and shine a light on the old test tube would the queen move her brood? I would hate to stress out the queen too much.
just attach the new tube to the old one, with a tiny bit of tape. (make sure the new one is very clean and has fresh water). put a dark paper or sleeve over the new tube so it is nice and dark inside. leave the other tube exposed to a light. (make sure its close enough to be just bright not hot.) then wait for her to move. the key here is to have ALOT of patience. she WILL move when she is comfortable enough to. :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

AntsRule

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:06 pm

Aaron567 wrote:
Make sure there is a way for air to get in, if they are in the tube for more than a day. Or you can open it every day, but this will disturb them. Would not want too suffocate them. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Aaron567

Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:39 am

larynx wrote:
Aaron567 wrote:
just attach the new tube to the old one, with a tiny bit of tape. (make sure the new one is very clean and has fresh water). put a dark paper or sleeve over the new tube so it is nice and dark inside. leave the other tube exposed to a light. (make sure its close enough to be just bright not hot.) then wait for her to move. the key here is to have ALOT of patience. she WILL move when she is comfortable enough to. :mrgreen:
After waiting almost 2 days, she has finally decided to move :) The key really is patience, and I was actually getting worried that she wasn't going to move. I think for the first day the light wasn't completely shining on her so on the second day I moved the light to be shining even brighter and that is what seemed to get her to move.