Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

nuzzorama

Help on combining Polyrhachis Dives queens

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:25 am

r/antkeeping
Help on combining Polyrhachis Dives queens
u/Nuzzorama
I am a beginner antkeeper based out of Taiwan. I have 2 small (25 nanitic) solenopsis invicta colonies and 2 Polyrhachis Dives queens. I don't think I will keep the Solenopsis colonies much longer and I really want to the Polyrhachis colonies to grow big before i move out of the country, probably in the next year. 1 queen has a cacoon and the other has an egg. I've had them since July 13th and both have only laid one egg each which haven't hatched yet. So, I'm worried they won't get big enough for a small aquarium setup. I was really hoping to see them build a nest before I move away.

My question is, how risky is it to combine the queens to speed up the process? I know they're Polygynous. But, what are the most likely outcomes if I combine them? They're my only two colonies I plan to keep, so if they both kill each other than I won't have any ants. I don't plan to have 2 small terrariums because my studio apartment is very small. So combining them would be ideal. How likely is it that they are friendly? In the worst case scenario does one kill the other? Could they both die? What is a good way to introduce them? Is it better to wait until they have nanitics first?

I appreciate your help! It would be so ideal to combine them... but i love these ants and would hate to harm them.

For more info, one is in a tubes and tub setup and the other is in this https://www.ants-squadshop.com/products/混泥試管培養巢a2
Founding:
Polyrhachis Dives/Wolfi
Solenopsis Invicta
Hoping to find:
Camponotus

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Help on combining Polyrhachis Dives queens

Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:52 am

You could attempt to combine them by introducing the workers and some brute from the smaller colony to the bigger one. If they are fine with the workers you can continue with more workers and in the end with the queen and a worker. This way you don't just sacrifice both queens. You could as well move only the eggs and brute to the other colony and release the queen and her nanitics into the wild, if they are native.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.