My First Colony

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

juaner92

My First Colony

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Hello well I'm From Bogotá Colombia, here we don't have seasons and the average temperature is 17 C°
and I found a Colombian webpage that sell ants https://quillants.co and I wanted to buy my first colony and they offer Pheidoles, crematogaster, solenopsis, dorymyrmex and camponotus sp, ¿wich one is the best one to begging with?

do they grow in this temperature? and do they hibernated in a place with out seasons?

Also what they eat?

thanks

Puncarlol

Re: My First Colony

Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Hey,

It's good to hear you are getting started in this fabulous world of mirmechology. I know you might be having quite a lot of questions and trust me everybody is like that at the beginning.

I started with crematogaster ants not so long ago, in fact I'm reasonably new to keeping ants too, and it has gone well so far. Then I acquired my second Queen/small colony of Pheidole Praeusta and everything seems to be working out as planned. Both of these species are hardy and ideal for beginners. I think that if you get either specie from the ones you mention you would be fine since it appears they are all local in your country.

As for hibernation you will have to continue searching as I don't possess such information. Remember to keep in mind humidity, food and keep them in a dark environment so they don't stress out.

Good luck.
Crematogaster Ampla x2
Ectatomma Ruidom
Pheidole Reclusi
Dorymyrmex Insanus
Odontomachus Erythrocephalus

All in founding stage ;)

antsRlife

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:07 pm

hey good to see you getting into the hobby. i suggest camponotus as there slow growers are adaptable to cold weather, and easy to care for (plus there poliginus meaning they have multiple shapes and sizes) they also dont get out or attempt to get out as much. i suggest you read hitch3's camponotus Consobrinus journal its quite good and quite informative. it can take a couple of years for them to get to a nice size. good luck.
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)

AntnoobSG

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:02 am

It’s polymorphic
Keeper of :
Camponotus albosparsus x2 :o
Camponotus Irritans ;)
Hoping for pheidole colony :D

Puncarlol

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:29 pm

antsRlife wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:07 pm
hey good to see you getting into the hobby. i suggest camponotus as there slow growers are adaptable to cold weather, and easy to care for (plus there poliginus meaning they have multiple shapes and sizes) they also dont get out or attempt to get out as much. i suggest you read hitch3's camponotus Consobrinus journal its quite good and quite informative. it can take a couple of years for them to get to a nice size. good luck.
Poliginus means that the colony can have multiple queens :|
Crematogaster Ampla x2
Ectatomma Ruidom
Pheidole Reclusi
Dorymyrmex Insanus
Odontomachus Erythrocephalus

All in founding stage ;)

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:58 am

Welcome to the hobby of antkeeping :D

It's possitiv to hear that you are doing some research first. If you can check on this wiki http://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Colombia for the colonies they offer so you can do some research for yourself. But of course so some additional research like what do they eat or perhaps add your questions here so we can provide you with tips and some guidance for the colony you are looking for. :D

For the questions about temperatur. The ants in your region might not hibernate at all but continue to work and grow. It's also possible that they take breaks and just work or stay in the nest. It will depend on the colony you have. I know that there are queens which take a break from laying eggs for a long period of time but then they lay eggs like crazy and continue this circle of laying eggs and taking breaks.

Anyway welcome to your new hobby :D
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.