Formica sanguinea queen!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

TheAntRaptor2

Formica sanguinea queen!

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 am

I have a Formica sanguinea queen that was earlier identified by @batspiderfish as a social parisite and maybe a sanguinea.(thank you for that btw) and I know nothing about this queen except that it’s a social parisite . If someone could please expand on the care and key things about the species this would be great, thanks for the help! :D (I also have 4 Formica subsericea with developing eggs if this can be used for the queen)
keeper of 4 formica subsericea :D
and 4 myrmica!
and a formica social paricite!

Batspiderfish

Re: Formica sanguinea queen!

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:47 am

Sadly, if it is from this group, then it probably isn't suitable for captivity. Formica aserva is (to the best of my knowledge) the only such species in North America which can live independently from its host species. All of the rest are dependent on a constant supply of host workers. They are brood-raiders, much like Polyergus.

Formica sanguinea is another species which can live independently, but they only live in Eurasia.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

TheAntRaptor2

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:10 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:47 am
Sadly, if it is from this group, then it probably isn't suitable for captivity. Formica aserva is (to the best of my knowledge) the only such species in North America which can live independently from its host species. All of the rest are dependent on a constant supply of host workers. They are brood-raiders, much like Polyergus.

Formica sanguinea is another species which can live independently, but they only live in Eurasia.
okay, so Should I let the queen go or give her some brood from my other queens? She’s been living in a test tube for about 3 1/2 weeks now if this matters
and 4 myrmica!

Batspiderfish

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:23 am

I think the responsible thing to do would be to let her go. She should be alright on her own as long as she gets a snack before she leaves. Her goal is to chase away a young Formica colony and steal some of their brood (they are equipped with enlarged Dufour's gland which releases panic-inducing odors and helps them to kidnap brood without having to do a lot of fighting.) They don't have to wait for long periods of time before having workers like most other ants.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

TheAntRaptor2

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:23 am
I think the responsible thing to do would be to let her go. She should be alright on her own as long as she gets a snack before she leaves. Her goal is to chase away a young Formica colony and steal some of their brood (they are equipped with enlarged Dufour's gland which releases panic-inducing odors and helps them to kidnap brood without having to do a lot of fighting.) They don't have to wait for long periods of time before having workers like most other ants.
okay, I’ll let her go if that’s best for the ant, what should I feed her on the way out?
and 4 myrmica!

Batspiderfish

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:27 am

Sugary liquid is fine.

TheAntRaptor2

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 am

Thank you:)
and 4 myrmica!