Myrmica rubra help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

antsabroad

Myrmica rubra help

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:56 am

Hi! I recently caught two Myrmica rubra queens and need some advice on their care. TIA!
Keeper of:
Messor barbarus
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Tetramorium impurum
Myrmica rubra
Founding:
Tapinoma nigerrium
Anochetus ghillani

ClashOwenBash

Re: Myrmica rubra help

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 am

antsabroad wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:56 am
Hi! I recently caught two Myrmica rubra queens and need some advice on their care. TIA!
Firstly they are semi-claustral so will need to be able to access an outworld asap. You will then need to provide food (a protien and sugar source) in the outworld for them to feed on. They might not eat visible amounts of food but always provide it as the ants know best. Try to replace the food every day or two if possible.They are polygynous which means you can keep the two queens together which will increase the growth of the colony later. Myrmica Rubra also love very humid nests so keep that in mind for later. They will hibernate through winter (you can look up about hibernating your ants if you are new).

Hope you enjoy this species as they are great :D
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

antsabroad

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks! I am not new, but never have kept semi-claustrals. :D
Keeper of:
Messor barbarus
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Tetramorium impurum
Myrmica rubra
Founding:
Tapinoma nigerrium
Anochetus ghillani

Hunter36o

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:41 am

I also caught a queen this year myself. Just a single queen. She is finally laying eggs after about 3 days of going between the test tube and the sand in her out world. I use a cut up and folded piece of tin foil to act as a mini plate for honey and I also have a box of frozen small crickets that I pull a leg off of every couple of days and I leave it relatively close to the test tube opening so she does have to leave the tube but not having to go too far.

She has ignored the last piece I gave her so I am assuming she is okay for protein but I'll have to swap it out today after work.

So from what I have learned so far is she will eat when she is ready. And keep the outworld dry so your queen's know the test tube is where they should lay eggs. Out side of all that the rest is down to her.

Also I try to touch the test tube as little as possible when changing foods.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.