Queen Makes An Alate As Nanatic!!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SamuelMamuel

Queen Makes An Alate As Nanatic!!

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:03 pm

I have a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus who made the weirdest and largest egg I've seen from any queen. At first I thought it was diseased, but it recently hatched and had a queen inside. THis queen doesn't evben have any workers, and yet she already has an alate. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.

AntsOfOntario

Re: Queen Makes An Alate As Nanatic!!

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:01 am

SamuelMamuel wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:03 pm
I have a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus who made the weirdest and largest egg I've seen from any queen. At first I thought it was diseased, but it recently hatched and had a queen inside. THis queen doesn't evben have any workers, and yet she already has an alate. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Are you sure it was a queen and not a drone? I've only heard of queens producing male alates which is due to infertility..
Do you have any pictures?

idahoantgirl

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:24 am

It was most likely a drone. Sorry :( But keep us posted on what happens. I'm interested in how long the colony will last.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Batspiderfish

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:25 am

Unfertilized (not the same as infertile) eggs produce male alates.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

SamuelMamuel

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm

ImageImageImageImageThe pictures may not show it, but the back of the queen is very flat, much like a queens
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Formica Sp.

BrunoB

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:22 pm

The winged one looks like a male to me. From what i've heard it means that egg was infertile. I see one larva that is clearly biggeger than the others so you will probably get at least another one. I don't know if the queen is infertile or only some of the eggs were lacking. I don't have experience, it is the first year antkeeping for me so don't trust me too much xD, but I would wait and see if any of the eggs come out has a normal worker. Maybe feed her a drop of honey to get her energy up. Best of luck

Batspiderfish

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Are there any small cocoons in there?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

SamuelMamuel

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:11 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 pm
Are there any small cocoons in there?
In the second image you can see the other massive egg sitting next to a normal sized egg.
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Formica Sp.

ASM042000

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 am

SamuelMamuel wrote:
ImageImageImageImageThe pictures may not show it, but the back of the queen is very flat, much like a queens
Had a similar issue. I have a camponotus herculeanus colony and the 3 nanitic I had was a drone. Quite strange tbh, but the next nanitics were normal. Just wait for the next cocoon to open. Your queen already removed her wings, so I highly doubt she is unfertilized.
Founding:
Lasius Flavus, Tetramorium Spp, 24*Queen Solenonpsis Fugax, Camponotus Micans.
Colonies:
Camponotus Cruentatus, Camponotus Herculeanus, Camponotus Turkestanus, Messor Barbarus.

Hunter36o

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 am

ASM042000 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 am
SamuelMamuel wrote:
Had a similar issue. I have a camponotus herculeanus colony and the 3 nanitic I had was a drone. Quite strange tbh, but the next nanitics were normal. Just wait for the next cocoon to open. Your queen already removed her wings, so I highly doubt she is unfertilized.
A queen who is fertile can keep her wings on, one of my Lasius Niger queens has normal nanitics and she still refuses to remove her wings. Also it has been known to happen where an infertile queen has removed her wings, so although almost every wiki will say that she WILL remove her wings after mating, it is not fact.

I have another Lasius who still has one wing. Also fertile from the looks of things so far. I personally think that if you catch a queen before she removes her wings she seems to be less bothered removing them as quick.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.