Tetramorium Question

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

TopTierTetra

Tetramorium Question

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 pm

I've caught a tetramorium queen 18 days ago, and since then she's layed 5-7 eggs, although I can't exactly tell. The eggs are too small to distinguish from the white of the cotton haha.. The question I had in mind is if anyone can give insight as to how many eggs my queen should be laying over a certain period of time or if any of you can share your personal eggs-per-week ratio. Thank you! I look forward to having a good time on the AntsCanada forums :D
[Doriyah 4 life]
Keeper of:
×1 Formica Sp. ?
×2 Tapinoma Sessile
×6 Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
×1 Monomorium pharaonis
×6 Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist:
-Pheidole

JoeHostile1

Re: Tetramorium Question

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:45 am

Gee I keep detailed notes on all of my colonies, but I never considered keeping an eggs-per-week ratio. That’s pretty intense note keeping. Counting 5-7 eggs is the easy part. I guess you’d need a microscope to keep an accurate count after that. I will tell you though that the tetramorium Queen I caught laid about 15-20 eggs in the first week and had her first workers born 27 days later. 4 months after I first caught her she had about 50 workers. Then I hibernated her.

I’m sure each queen is different though with different results.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

TopTierTetra

Re: Tetramorium Question

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:29 pm

Thank you for the helpful insight! I imagine that yours laid more eggs due to better conditions, seeing I'm only able to keep her in a drawer under some shirts in my Air-Conditioned room. (Nowhere in the house is any hotter sadly) I've also gotten my "first queen jitters" out of the way so I've lengthened my check ups from two or three times a day, to once every 7 days. I'm sure that'll help her feel much more comfy and less stressed. I'll post updates when anything new happens!
[Doriyah 4 life]
Keeper of:
×1 Formica Sp. ?
×2 Tapinoma Sessile
×6 Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
×1 Monomorium pharaonis
×6 Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist:
-Pheidole