My small colony of Lasius Niger

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntAnett

My small colony of Lasius Niger

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:41 am

Hello! I've been trying to get one information, but internet failed me... I know, that my Queen of Ants (Lasius Niger) and her (only) 6 workers is not enough to put them to nest, but can I attache their test tube to an Outworld? I have small plastic box, prepared as a simple foraging area, only I don't know if it's OK to let them walk there. There is nothing, not even sand, I only want to feed them there, cause I've bought them from local store and they have sent me the ants in a very small test tube, it must be stresfull for them, when I open it to give them food and take out trash. They have few eggs and larvae, my Queen is doing her job well.

The Outworld is not tiny, but it's also not Large. I would leave it be even after plugging in the nest (acrylic).
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmiM_PNwB9wuId1eRfE0WDA/videos

idahoantgirl

Re: My small colony of Lasius Niger

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:38 am

Yup, for sure. Feeding in the tube causes stress and mold outbreaks. Use a one inch section of drinking straw wedged between the exit cotton and the side of the tube to act as a tunnel for them. You can either connect the tube to the outworld or just set the whole tube in the outworld. make sure you have a barrier.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntAnett

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Thank's a lot man! That's a hudge relief. I use tubes for ant transportation... Now one of the workers is traveling between nest an Outworld. I gave them honey.

FaranAli

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:57 pm

She is not man :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keeper of Pheidole Pallidula with about 15-20 workers and bunch of brood 8-) 8-) 8-) ...(2 Queen)

AntAnett

Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Yeah, I've noticed after posting, sorry :P

2/6 workers were already at the Outworld, but they are not eating. I asume they needs time. I will not give them water at the Outworld, cause they have it at the test tube. One of the workers refuse to get back home, I hope she knows her adress... :P She is hidding under the baking paper (I've given them food on such thing).

Sorry for my English, sometimes it's strange.

I still wait for my acrylic nest (3d technology, maybe it's not "acrylic", but some kind of the plastic). It wil come by post, at the beginning of next week, I also need pretty Outworld container, cause the current one isn't very much pretty. The begging of every hobby is kind of hard, I hope I will make mininum mistakes.... I will transfer them to the nest when tere will be 15-30 workers.

FaranAli

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 am

in my opinion,dont transfer them earlier than 25-30 workers and dont force them to get to the nest, 25-30 workers have great chance to change home automatically,if their tube is dried out
Keeper of Pheidole Pallidula with about 15-20 workers and bunch of brood 8-) 8-) 8-) ...(2 Queen)

AntAnett

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:24 am

I'd really like to change their tube it's so small... But it's clean an full of water, so probably they will not go to the the new nest, no motivation :P

btw, can I add dry sand to the Outworld? They should not transfer eggs/larvae to the dry sand, but it would help them walking around there, more natural.

AntAnett

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:29 pm

I've decided to look for another box for Outworld, this one is to small. I don't know if I can give them some sand at the bottom of the Outworld, and the holes in the side of the box are a bit high, ants have problems with walking in/out, sand would help a lot, cause I could make a hill close to the entrance. I can't put test tube directly inside the Outworld box, cause it would take a lot of free space, that's not the best idea. But I am going to make some small plaster nests, and this small box will be perfect for that :D

This mornin I've found one pupa! :D I'm so happy like it was my child! :D According to my knoweldge, it will take 15 days to get an adult ant + few days for her "armor" to be created.