Feed my queens?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AJWhit22

Feed my queens?

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:08 pm

I have been keeping three black camponotus ants (not sure what specific species) and they still in the forming stage with their brood mostly still larva with a couple pupae. Recently they have begun pulling at the cotton and it appears that they want to get out. Does this mean they are hungry and I should feed them a little bit of honey?

AntsDakota

Re: Feed my queens?

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm

AJWhit22 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:08 pm
I have been keeping three black camponotus ants (not sure what specific species) and they still in the forming stage with their brood mostly still larva with a couple pupae. Recently they have begun pulling at the cotton and it appears that they want to get out. Does this mean they are hungry and I should feed them a little bit of honey?
It is completely unnecessary, as the queens have enough reserves in their wing muscles to go months without food. But you can if you want. Just feed them after their workers arrive. My colony currently has 5 workers.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25