Vaseline Barrier?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Austheboss

Vaseline Barrier?

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi,
I currently have a colony of Camponotus Pennsylvanicus with 15 workers. I've heard that vaseline/petroleum jelly works as a barrier, so today I pulled their test tube out of their outworld, applied the vaseline with a cotton ball, and re-covered the container. The ants seem to be able to walk over the vaseline, but very reluctantly and slowly, never making it to the top before walking down. It works enough for me, but here's my question: A long time ago I used talcum powder and rubbing alcohol to keep some tetramorium (at 3 workers) inside their outworld, but didn't let it dry before putting their test tube in the container. They started acting kind of drowsy, stumbling around and rolling up as if dead (they were fine after I took them out). The smell of alcohol was very strong. The container was well ventilated with mesh. Will the Vaseline be okay even though I put the Campo back in immediately? Their container does not have a lot of air circulation, but they seem fine after about an hour, so I just want to make sure. Thanks
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

idahoantgirl

Re: Vaseline Barrier?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 pm

It should be alright. How did it turn out for ya?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile