Founding queen eggs not growing

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Kaboom

Founding queen eggs not growing

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:28 am

I've had a C. Herculeanus queen for around 7 weeks and a L. Niger queen for 3 weeks. Both queens have laid eggs and i check on the every week. The thing that is weird is that the eggs have not grown in size at all. I heard that the eggs dont grow untill they become larvae, but i dont know if they are larvae yet. Is this normal or what should i do?

ClashOwenBash

Re: Founding queen eggs not growing

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:53 am

Kaboom wrote:
I've had a C. Herculeanus queen for around 7 weeks and a L. Niger queen for 3 weeks. Both queens have laid eggs and i check on the every week. The thing that is weird is that the eggs have not grown in size at all. I heard that the eggs dont grow untill they become larvae, but i dont know if they are larvae yet. Is this normal or what should i do?
I would wait a bit longer.But it could be a good idea to move the queens into a different test tube set-up without the eggs. This will force them to lay again. I did this with my L.Niger queen when her larvae died over the winter. She then successfully raised her next brood after Spring. :D
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

NKantsalberta

Re: Founding queen eggs not growing

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:37 pm

*** SPAM *** wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:53 am
Kaboom wrote:
I'm having the same experience with the 3 camponotus queens I have. I caught them at yhe end of may and they even have some small larvae. I know theyre a slow growing species but I see posts for other camps having the first alates after the second month... I have their daytime temps elevated to 28C so hopefully i will see some wprkers before hibernation :lol:

I would wait a bit longer.But it could be a good idea to move the queens into a different test tube set-up without the eggs. This will force them to lay again. I did this with my L.Niger queen when her larvae died over the winter. She then successfully raised her next brood after Spring. :D
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts