Help with Ants and Temperatures

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Zene12

Help with Ants and Temperatures

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Hey,

I am just worried about my ants in summer. Right now it is winter and my room is lowering to around 10 - 15°C and they seem to do fine, but in the summer since my room is not directly connected to my house it warms up a lot reaching around 40°C/104°F, will this kill them since it will warm up there nest to?

Thanks

AntsOfOntario

Re: Help with Ants and Temperatures

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:37 am

Yes, it will 100% cook them. It is not even advised to keep your ants above 30 degrees. There are a few reasons, but one of the main ones is for the fact that those temperatures with creating insane humidity inside of a tube, thus producing condensation which could potentially drown the queens first set of workers.
I believe that queens will often want temperatures that we humans enjoy. We would not want to be in an enclosed space enduring 40 degrees consistently.
I would recommend anywhere between 24 - 29 degrees to still promote fast-growing brood whilst keeping your ants happy. :D

Zene12

Re: Help with Ants and Temperatures

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks so much for the information but when summer comes near the end of the year i am pretty sure they will be a huge colony and will be hard to move. Is there anything i can do without using an air conditioner since it will be pricey? I will keep the window open but maybe is there a cooler i can buy of some sort or will i need to find a way to move them somewhere cooler? I would love to hear what others do.

Thanks