Monomorium minimum can't get them to eat

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

blackmold

Monomorium minimum can't get them to eat

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Spelling and grammar are not one of my skills, dyslexia.
under the hot tub cover I found a small nest of Monomorium minimum (Little Black Ants) a week or so ago, with 200+ ants and a big bunch of eggs and queen.
In the bottom of the big jar It took 2 days and on the third nesting spot they move to into the test tube with cotton water.

I used a 1 gallon jar and a paint brush to get them into the jar. I know that they like it very moist and have them in a 8in by 8in and 4in high Tupperware with a 5 inch hole on the top cover. I have a pill bottle with water and cotton in there home, The cotton is fluffed up on top. To help with humidity. and I keep the cover hole mostly covered.The queen test tube is covered with Aluminum foil and is open to the air.

I can't get them to eat i have bug, fruit, wet cat food, honey water in the bottom of there home. The bug is in a test tube with water cotton . It's next to the one with the queen in it.

any pointers for this type of ant.

Thinks Bill :D

blackmold

Re: Monomorium minimum can't get them to eat

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:31 pm

I cleaned up all the food, did not touch nest for 4 days.
then tried peanut butter and sugar water, the sugar water has small and temporary response.

Then in the afternoon found a Earwig (disambiguation) killed it. they loved it.
Bill :P

noah0517

Re: Monomorium minimum can't get them to eat

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:47 am

I’ve learned that temperature has affected my ants eating patterns. Attempting to crank up the heat a few degrees may do the trick, or even possibly placing them outside or in a garage might also be beneficial. If they are too cold their body slows down, hence they aren’t exerting enough energy to even feel the need to be hungry.
1 Monomorium Minumum & 1 Solenopsis Invicta colony owner; Virginia Beach, Va; Nicholas Eisenberg