Welcome back to the Camponotus Crew! (New topic, old one got too long)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Polyrhachiskeeper

Re: Welcome back to the Camponotus Crew! (New topic, old one got too long)

Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:09 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:33 pm
I have a colony of camponotus ants. They have gold tails and I have no idea what the species is.
maybe C. parius or C. auriventris.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:10 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
I have a colony of camponotus ants. They have gold tails and I have no idea what the species is.
Or they could be Golden Tailed Spiny ants if they have any spikes or look different than normal Camponotus ants
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

Antsantsantsaltacc

Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:00 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:24 pm
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Maybe Camponotus aeneopilosus. They are literally called golden tail sugar ants.
So creative!

JaydenScheepers

Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:38 pm

I am back in AC forums. (Disclaimer, my name isn't back). My C. parius has grown a lot over the past months, and I estimate that they are over 600 workers. Majors are starting to get a little braver, idk maybe the colony just forces them outside to help the minors out a bit, they at least unleash warning strikes that miss 100% of the time, it's some progress at least. Also I got three founding queens of the feared S. genenata.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Polyrhachiskeeper

Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:02 am

Nice! Seems your colony is doing good, my one on the other is... um... :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:

I think i got a C. nicobarensis and i fed them, nothing too special, but then, i thought they had enough food so i didn't feed them anymore. :oops: Now lots of workers have died and all the brood are gone, from 15 workers to a miserable 4 or 5. They now do have eggs but only a few, and it will take probably a month or so to become workers. If my workers die can my queen still survive if i feed it? Will it just raise the eggs into workers again? or should i brood boost? (dont have any colonies nearby which are same size and which i have found the nest of). Please give me some tips, any would be greatly appreciated.

--
Polyrhachiskeeper

I am a bad ant keeper :oops: :cry:
--
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

Joshua09

Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:42 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Nice! Seems your colony is doing good, my one on the other is... um... :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:

I think i got a C. nicobarensis and i fed them, nothing too special, but then, i thought they had enough food so i didn't feed them anymore. :oops: Now lots of workers have died and all the brood are gone, from 15 workers to a miserable 4 or 5. They now do have eggs but only a few, and it will take probably a month or so to become workers. If my workers die can my queen still survive if i feed it? Will it just raise the eggs into workers again? or should i brood boost? (dont have any colonies nearby which are same size and which i have found the nest of). Please give me some tips, any would be greatly appreciated.

--
Polyrhachiskeeper

--
Hello, I am back. You should feed your queen sugary food so that she will boost her energy and lay more eggs.

ellie5010ml

Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:24 am

Hey! I posted this on a different topic, but didn't get any traction and am low on time to make a decision. Thought I'd try here since it's a camponotus colony

Hi! I'm a new ant keeper who recently obtained a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony. It's in a test tube set up, 10-20 workers strong, and has been fed with drops of sugar water and chunks of mealworm pre-hibernation. In the process of moving the colony to my college dorm, it was warmed up enough for the ants to become active as if they weren't in hibernation. They're now in one of my cabinets in my dorm, which is cold but not *too* cold, so I'm not sure if they're going to re-enter hibernation or not. I don't want to check on them constantly and disturb them, but I am unsure if I should try to feed them or just leave them alone for another month as if they were hibernating.
Any thoughts?

antperson24

Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:28 pm

ellie5010ml wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:24 am
Hey! I posted this on a different topic, but didn't get any traction and am low on time to make a decision. Thought I'd try here since it's a camponotus colony

Hi! I'm a new ant keeper who recently obtained a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony. It's in a test tube set up, 10-20 workers strong, and has been fed with drops of sugar water and chunks of mealworm pre-hibernation. In the process of moving the colony to my college dorm, it was warmed up enough for the ants to become active as if they weren't in hibernation. They're now in one of my cabinets in my dorm, which is cold but not *too* cold, so I'm not sure if they're going to re-enter hibernation or not. I don't want to check on them constantly and disturb them, but I am unsure if I should try to feed them or just leave them alone for another month as if they were hibernating.
Any thoughts?
You could put a thermometer in there and then let me know how cold it is, then I should be able to give you an answer.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Polyrhachiskeeper

Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:14 am

Joshua09 wrote:
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

--
Polyrhachiskeeper

--
Hello, I am back. You should feed your queen sugary food so that she will boost her energy and lay more eggs.
I gave her some ant super food (liquid protein food for ants) but i dont think sugar is included. Will sugar really boost egg production?

Their death pile is in the liquid protein food lol. She only has like 5 workers now, i'm planning to attach an outworld for easy access.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

JaydenScheepers

Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:11 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:14 am
Joshua09 wrote:
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

--
Polyrhachiskeeper

--
I gave her some ant super food (liquid protein food for ants) but i dont think sugar is included. Will sugar really boost egg production?

Their death pile is in the liquid protein food lol. She only has like 5 workers now, i'm planning to attach an outworld for easy access.
Adult ants live primarily on Carbohydrates, larvae live primarily on protein. Queens only eat protein to produce eggs, the Carbohydrates will give her the energy necessary for founding.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1