Broke the Golden rule and I need help.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Charlesrey

Broke the Golden rule and I need help.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:43 pm

So long story short I broke the golden rule and ordered an ant queen online. It was to be my first ever attempt, However there was a mistake on there end and they ended up sending a Camponotus Sansabeanus and a Camponotus fragila instead of the Camponotus discolor I ordered. The good thing is the species are still native to my area. But they arrived with water droplets and brood scattered and wet (no workers or cocoons). Is there anything I can do to save these queens or are they done for. Also any advice would be appreciated since I was expecting and researched a completely different ant.
Camponotus Sansabeanus (founding)
Camponotus Fragilis (founding)

AntsAntsAnts

Re: Broke the Golden rule and I need help.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:28 pm

Charlesrey wrote:
So long story short I broke the golden rule and ordered an ant queen online. It was to be my first ever attempt, However there was a mistake on there end and they ended up sending a Camponotus Sansabeanus and a Camponotus fragila instead of the Camponotus discolor I ordered. The good thing is the species are still native to my area. But they arrived with water droplets and brood scattered and wet (no workers or cocoons). Is there anything I can do to save these queens or are they done for. Also any advice would be appreciated since I was expecting and researched a completely different ant.

I do not think these queens are done for. Just because they have brood scattered does not mean they are infertile, though it is a sign. Some camponotus queens still tend to spread them out. just raise them until the nanitics arrive but if they turn out to all be males, you can get a refund.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

AntsAntsAnts

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:30 pm

Charlesrey wrote:
Perhaps next time you should buy via the GAN project as the queens ALWAYS have workers. ;)
keeping:

SYUTEO

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:28 pm

If the brood is scattered it may be due to shipping or the queen does it herself. Also which website did you order it from? Some well-known ones are actually good.

AntsAntsAnts

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:38 am

AC's queen 7 actually had scattered brood and now they have a whole legion of nanitics.
keeping:

Charlesrey

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:10 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:38 am
AC's queen 7 actually had scattered brood and now they have a whole legion of nanitics.
You're not wrong about the GAN farmers lol, I live in Texas and it's 4 to 5 hour drive to the closest ones. And should of waited till nuptials since there are tons of ants here. I have them in a drawer with a heat pad gonna leave them alone for a couple weeks and see if they rebound.

Charlesrey

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:25 am

SYUTEO wrote:
If the brood is scattered it may be due to shipping or the queen does it herself. Also which website did you order it from? Some well-known ones are actually good.
Its one of the newer shops that sprung up after they changed the shipping laws in 2019, it's called antsemporium, I'm not really mad at them, they mixed up orders, I ordered a common camponotus and they sent me 2 less common queens. I'm just worried all their brood is dead because of the cold or water in chamber during shipping, I have them in a drawer with a heat pad (70 degrees at night 85 during the day) so hopefully they start laying again.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:23 am

Charlesrey wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Its one of the newer shops that sprung up after they changed the shipping laws in 2019, it's called antsemporium, I'm not really mad at them, they mixed up orders, I ordered a common camponotus and they sent me 2 less common queens. I'm just worried all their brood is dead because of the cold or water in chamber during shipping, I have them in a drawer with a heat pad (70 degrees at night 85 during the day) so hopefully they start laying again.
Firstly, there wouldn’t be any brood if they were dead, the queen would eat them or something similar. Also, I think it is fine to ship ants if it is done properly. Also, GAN farmers sell queens with just eggs, and break several federal laws like NOT SELLING INVASIVE ANTS!! Also, in my experience, if you email 6, and text 1 of them, only 1 will get back to you. I emailed them in October. I am sure they have just been figured out what to say for 4 months. Also, my Camponotus will lay the brood out sometimes, and usually it is when they have a lot of mature larvae. You could probably get your discolor queen free, if you contact or call them as they do not expect you to ship those queens back.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:12 am

Charlesrey wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Antsemporium? Well, it's rather difficult to say if they're good or not because there are many mixed reviews of them.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:27 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:12 am
Charlesrey wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Antsemporium? Well, it's rather difficult to say if they're good or not because there are many mixed reviews of them.
It is a hit or miss
When you accidentally reply to yourself…