Need some help with my ant colonies

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Nikshyran

Need some help with my ant colonies

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:45 am

Hey guys, my two ant colonies have just came out of hibernation and i need some help. I caught them 6 months ago, a lasius niger queen and a formica fusca queen. My lasius niger has had only one nanatic and has just layed a new batch, my formica fusca queen has had 3 nanatics and only has one left and no eggs. Please do tell what their chances of survival are or any advice, just pretty worried right now as to their survival. Any advice would be very much appreciated and needed :)
Proud owner of two new colonies of [/Formica Fusca x1] and [/Lasius Niger x1] both caught in the UK during August 2019

Vincex

Re: Need some help with my ant colonies

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:42 am

Hi I assume the lasius Niger are in a test tube ? Your should just give them some proteins and sugars into the test tube ? The Queen's need to be left alone and they LL be fine!
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Nikshyran

Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:43 am

Aha they are in a test tube set up and it is reassuring to hear that, I am trying to get them to move test tubes as there is a mold outbreak. Am i correct in assuming that will take a few weeks to move? Also what are my Formica Fusca Ants survival chances looking like?
Proud owner of two new colonies of [/Formica Fusca x1] and [/Lasius Niger x1] both caught in the UK during August 2019

Vincex

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:20 am

I don't have them but I'd imagine as long as the queen can have a little protein in the testtube she LL lay more eggs with enough piece and quiet but try researching yourself ! I find YouTube helpful for suggestions on care and types of food ! Some people tape two testtube s together but don't completely tape the whole way so air can get in !
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Nikshyran

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:12 am

Alright, thanks again dude. :D