Myrmica refuse to hibernate and I am very worried about this.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

Myrmica refuse to hibernate and I am very worried about this.

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:16 am

Riddle me this. My Myrmica refuse to slow down. Well they have slowed down because they are in an average temp range of 7- 12 degrees Celsius. Cannot stop it going past ten but I can cap it at 14. Even with this level of cold naturally slowing them down, the single queen and single worker are actively trying to forge. Even in the cold temp range I had to re-attached the test tube portal out of fear that they would pull the cotton out of the test tube and escape.
I'm in Ireland so it is very much cold all the time this time of year. So I cannot figure out why they won't relax and hibernate. I'm getting worried she will push her self too much and die :(

Should I consider taking her out of the colder room and bring her back up to room temperature in my kitchen? (I have a dedicated corner in my kitchen in an alcove in the back that houses all small enclosure based pets) this room averages at 20 to 25 degrees Celsius. I know not letting them hibernate is bad for their health, but what do I do when they refuse to become inactive?
All my Lasius queens and small colonies are happily in hibernation. I'm so confused :?:
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

JoeHostile1

Re: Myrmica refuse to hibernate and I am very worried about this.

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 am

12 degrees is a little warm for hibernation. Maybe they are trying to forage because they are hungry or thirsty? Perhaps you could offer them a final meal. Another reason they may want out is from a humidity problem. The nest may becoming too dry. Humidity is actually more important for the survival of ants than food is.

One hibernation a few winters ago I lost all the workers and brood in the nest because the nest completely dried up during hibernation because I was slacking on filling up the water Reservoirs. Luckily the only survivor was the queen who was just barely clinging to life.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Hunter36o

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:24 am

I am trying to keep the temp down to the best of my ability but during day hours I cannot stop the chosen area increasing in temperature. I'm very disappointed in my lack of preparation for a plan B as plan A got compromised and the area now drops to 0 at night. I had this ready in October but a bat managed to borrow under a loose roof slate and came out right beside my hibernation area in my attic. I didn't know bats could even do that. But October is perfect bat season in **** so I guess I should have known better :(

Anyway I made sure to move all my ants into fresh clean set ups and made sure they all move in their own time minus one Lasius colony that was as stubborn as an ox. I will try giving them more food today after work as advised but if you have an alternative suggestions in case the food is not an issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your quick reply :)
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

ClashOwenBash

Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:01 am

Only other suggestion I would say was that to leave them alone in a dark place for long periods of time, just checking water every month or two.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

Cal113

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:36 pm

what do you do if you dont have a place cold enough? Our whole house stays above 60 degrees F and our garage drops below zero sometimes. I know that can kill colonies so whats my best bet?
Keeper of:

x3 Tetramorium caespitum queens (small colonies);
x1 Pogonomyrmex barbatus (med colony)
x1 Formica fusca single queen; (small colony)
x2 Unknown sp.; (founding)
x1 Temnothorax rugatalus (med colony)

Hunter36o

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:16 am

*** SPAM *** wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:01 am
Only other suggestion I would say was that to leave them alone in a dark place for long periods of time, just checking water every month or two.
Yeah I have not gone near them since so I am no longer sure if she is still active.

Hunter36o

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:15 am

Still active and I now know why.
I actually over looked a small piece of information on a care sheet in regards to hibernation. In fact I feel like an ideot. Myrmica hibernate with food supplies fulls in winter. Queeny won't hibernate because she feels there is not enough food in the test tube. So I'm going to attach her back to the test tube portal and give her a chunky lower half of a cricket to add to her test tube. I know it will end up there straight away but I'll just let her do the work so she is kept happy and not stressed out by me stuffing a cricket bum in the tube.
I now know they need a protein source over the winter months but should I play it safe and give her a little tinfoil dish with honey also? Only thing is I know she won't pull the dish in and I do not think it will be ideal to leave the test tube portal attached during full hibernation.

Cal113

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:56 pm

lol its spelled idiot. Thats pretty hilarious :D :lol: :P
Keeper of:

x3 Tetramorium caespitum queens (small colonies);
x1 Pogonomyrmex barbatus (med colony)
x1 Formica fusca single queen; (small colony)
x2 Unknown sp.; (founding)
x1 Temnothorax rugatalus (med colony)

Hunter36o

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:08 am

Yup always funny when a dyslexic person messes up a spelling :? :roll:

ClashOwenBash

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:12 am

I think the correct spelling is "Yep". :roll:
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!