artificial mating

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

tetriminoss

artificial mating

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:49 pm

So our apartment is infested with an ant (maybe tetramorium) and after rain today Alates are coming out of the cracks here and there. Since they're coming out inside the apartment and not outside (unfortunately). They can't fly and mate. So, If I grab female and male and put them in the test tube, what will happen?

or do I have to accept the unluckiness and go venture outside to find more nest?
New ant keeper

Batspiderfish

Re: artificial mating

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:23 pm

It's much easier to just find a queen that has mated.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Hunter36o

Re: artificial mating

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:19 am

I think nature has biologically coded ants not to mate with with siblings. This of course is an exception to those who are capable of double cloning (when a queen can produce female alates that are copies of herself and male alates that are carbon copies of the male she mated with in the first place making them unrelated male and female alates by DNA)

Unfortunately Tetramorium does not fall into this category. As far as I am aware anyway. Someone can correct me on this if needed.

Best bet is to open the closest window to these ants and go search for a queen a good little walk away from your apartment. This way you have a higher chance of catching a newly mated queen.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.