Possible queen ant walking around in the house unlike other ants - Safety concern for the ant

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

nobelant

Possible queen ant walking around in the house unlike other ants - Safety concern for the ant

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:33 am

Hi guys, we caught this ant just walking around in the house for a few days now and afraid that we could step on it so we put it in a bottle and give it some water. We are not sure if it is a queen ant but it doesn't look like other ants that we see around in the house.

Its body length is large and is about 10mm and this is a picture of it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pqy67CPbKJ6ct9VL0Onqh7F5qbyb7iva/view?usp=sharing

Could you guys provide us some tips on whether this is a queen ant as it seems to just want to get out of the bottle and continue walking ?

We watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs9BLdgoBY and identify that it has large mesosoma and gaster but we are not sure if we can identify wing scar.

Thank you and looking forward to hearing your opinions.

SYUTEO

Re: Possible queen ant walking around in the house unlike other ants - Safety concern for the ant

Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:05 am

Indeed a queen. Possibly Camponotus or Colobopsis. If you could give me the location (country only should be okay, if you live in the US, Canada, Australia, India, Brazil or China then you might also need to give me the state/province) I could make the ID more accurate.

nobelant

Re: Possible queen ant walking around in the house unlike other ants - Safety concern for the ant

Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:46 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Indeed a queen. Possibly Camponotus or Colobopsis. If you could give me the location (country only should be okay, if you live in the US, Canada, Australia, India, Brazil or China then you might also need to give me the state/province) I could make the ID more accurate.
Hi Syuteo, thank you for your response. The location is Da Nang - Viet Nam.
Do we need to feed it with sugar water at this stage ?

SYUTEO

Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:18 am

nobelant wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:46 am
SYUTEO wrote:
Hi Syuteo, thank you for your response. The location is Da Nang - Viet Nam.
Do we need to feed it with sugar water at this stage ?
Your queen is Colobopsis leonardi which is actually a lucky find since it's a rare species, mine sadly died today :( . You can feed her sugar water right now and once her larvae hatch, you should feed her insects. If she doesn't eat then wait 1-3 days before trying again. They like to pull at the cotton but don't worry about that. Also, Colobopsis leonardi is also one of the species in the genus that's known as 'exploding ants'.