Ant Newbie

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Skule98

Ant Newbie

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:17 am

Hello everyone. I'm a new ant lover and i am thinking of finding my first queen and this year. Im in europe so i was thinking of getting a Lasius queen since they are available right now as far as i have managed to find out. I live in a small town and i was thinking where to search for a queen when i remembered something about my childhood. In my back yard there was a plant that produced a lot of flowers and on those flowers was always a lot of ants and they stung me as a child so i instantly ran out to see if the colony is still there. And behold it was still there 10+ years in the making. I think its a Lasius Niger ant colony and its HUGE. Every flower is covered with at least 50 of them. I wanted to ask all of you what are the chances of me getting a queen from that colony and making my own one from it? Is that save? And of course do you have any tips for me and do you have any tips how to keep that Huge colony alive and well, i mean they didn't need help for these 10 years but still.

Thank you all for the help and of course thanks to the AC channel that showed me that ants are so cool and cute creatures. <3

PS. If you want pictures to help me indentefy them im more than happy to snap a picture or two!!

AM1C39

Re: Ant Newbie

Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:00 am

Yes pictures would be nice, but to be honnest it would be almost imposible to collect that colony.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Antloverhuman

Re: Ant Newbie

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:00 am

Picture would be helpful. You said that they stung you but lasius ants dont sting, they bite. So either you mistook their bite as a sting or they are other ant species. It is very easy to catch a queen of a colony which is this old and big. So you can try to feed them to increase chances of you catching a quee ;)
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony