HELP!!!!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntLuvForever

HELP!!!!

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:16 pm

I have always wanted a pavement ant colony for a long time. Today, I saw pavement ants building (and swarming a bit as well) furiously and widening they nest entrance. I read somewhere that this behavior means that they are preparing for a nuptial flight. However, I had to leave right afterwards for homework and had to go for the rest of the day. :,(
NOOOOO! Did I just miss a nuptial flight?!? However it rained before I observed them so do you think that they are only repairing the damage caused by rain?
It’s April here and is that too early for them?
Pls tell me your opinion!!! I would love them even if they are not what I want to hear...
Ant Colonies I Own :

(Prenolepis imparis)--Subzero

(Tetramorium immigrans)--The Concrete Angles

(Formica neogagates)--The Unyielding Legion

cjerg9

Re: HELP!!!!

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:46 am

Ants definitely do this after rain or even a light shower so that is likely what you have observed. There is still a chance they may fly so I would keep checking here and there.

AM1C39

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:01 am

How mush bigger that usual did them make the nest entrance? If it was a lot bigger than usual they could be preparing for a nuptial flight. I do not think you missed it though and even if you did you can still find some queens wandering around in search of a place to make their nest. My suggestion would be to keep your eyes peeled!
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

AntLuvForever

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:18 am

Like they were dragging parts of the soil from inside/outside the nest and dumping it to make a sort of anthill. They’ve already made a visible ring of soil around the nest entrance.
Ant Colonies I Own :

(Prenolepis imparis)--Subzero

(Tetramorium immigrans)--The Concrete Angles

(Formica neogagates)--The Unyielding Legion