Just Caught Queen Prenolepis Imparis Ants... Now What?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

NewbieAntLover

Just Caught Queen Prenolepis Imparis Ants... Now What?

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:41 pm

So a week ago I caught two ants that I identified as prenolepis imparis and I already have them in a test tube set up. How long does it generally take for them to lay eggs? I know that they are a very slow growing colony species and only lay one batch of eggs per year, but does anyone have any information to help me out here? I only just got into ant keeping and I don't really know that much so any information about prenolepis imparis and ants in general so any tips of prenolepis imparis care or what to expect would be great!

antperson24

Re: Just Caught Queen Prenolepis Imparis Ants... Now What?

Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:22 pm

NewbieAntLover wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:41 pm
So a week ago I caught two ants that I identified as prenolepis imparis and I already have them in a test tube set up. How long does it generally take for them to lay eggs? I know that they are a very slow growing colony species and only lay one batch of eggs per year, but does anyone have any information to help me out here? I only just got into ant keeping and I don't really know that much so any information about prenolepis imparis and ants in general so any tips of prenolepis imparis care or what to expect would be great!
My Prenolepis imparis queens took a week to lay eggs. You might already know this, but Prenolepis imparis do not hibernate.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN