Queen ant finding help

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Mrpancakes42

Queen ant finding help

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:48 pm

So I'm a beginner and so far I have tried searching for ants so far for three years and I have had the worst luck. Now I have found queens mostly Solenopsis spp. But I have found a two Camponotus spp. But both Camponotus spp. Died sadly. I had also caught a different spp. But I dont know what spp. it was and sadly it died
because I apparently did not hibernate it correctly. I have been hunting these few days because the weather is great. Yesterday while moving cardboard boxes my family and I had collected for a bonfire a box tiped over due to the wind that day and surprise there was a queen alate just sitting there. I was not expecting that there would be a queen so did not have a testube or snap cap vial on hand. luckily I was not far from my house, ran inside and grabed one as fast as I could then ran back and it was still there! I went touched it with a cotton ball to coax it into the testube then the wind picked up it opened its wings and as fast as it came it was gone. Now today, I went to get something from outside and as I opened the door somthing flew inside I didn't immediately pay any attention to it but I said to myself "it won't hurt to check" I checked and it was a queen I pulled out my testube instantly and grabbed my cotton ball to put it into the testube and it ran under my baseboard and it was gone

So really all I need is some tips because I am still in pain from losing them. They were both not solenopsis spp. for sure which makes it hurt so much more. Also I just need help finding queens because I live in the middle of nowhere there are no side walks just a huge field

Mrpancakes42

Re: Queen ant finding help

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:45 pm

I actually found a queen yesterday a few minutes after posting :lol: I posted it in the queen ant identification center because I am trully stumped on what spp. it is. The post is called queen ant Holly springs, MS