Tiny bugs with my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

AntTaco

Tiny bugs with my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm

So, I was moving my small colony of Camponotus pennsylvanicus ants (1 queen, 7 workers, bunch of eggs with some large larva) from a rather... big set up (2 Ant Towers, 1 using the sand provided, and one with soil, connected with a fresh thing of water Im trying to move them into.) and I got their main tube out with their workers, queen and brood, when I saw some small brownish termite looking things in there. I have no clue what they are but must have been there for a bit cause there were quite a few of them. They don't seem harmful to the colony but I just want to make sure due to the fact that this colony is my only successful one to this day.

SYUTEO

Re: Tiny bugs with my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:50 am

AntTaco wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm
So, I was moving my small colony of Camponotus pennsylvanicus ants (1 queen, 7 workers, bunch of eggs with some large larva) from a rather... big set up (2 Ant Towers, 1 using the sand provided, and one with soil, connected with a fresh thing of water Im trying to move them into.) and I got their main tube out with their workers, queen and brood, when I saw some small brownish termite looking things in there. I have no clue what they are but must have been there for a bit cause there were quite a few of them. They don't seem harmful to the colony but I just want to make sure due to the fact that this colony is my only successful one to this day.
They might be ant loving crickets, these crickets won't do any harm to your colony.

Antsanyone

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:10 pm

Wow! Ant-loving crickets, you're super lucky, I'd love to have some of those!
Wannabe entomologist
Current colonies:
Campnotus sp.
Dream ants:
Carebara castanea, Cephalotes, Atta texana
Calyptomyrmex, Discothyrea mixta, Melissotarsus spp.
Proatta, Rhytidoponera aspersa, Gigantiops ... actually, most ants.

AntTaco

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 pm

Ant loving Crickets... sounds cool. Will probably give the ants that tower back once they leave their old test tube.