How do you clean a test tube?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

CaptainAnt2005

How do you clean a test tube?

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:25 am

Hello, my inquiry is about how does one clean test tubes? I ask this because I have tried to raise queens in the past but unfortunately none of them made it past winter here in Denver. Now all my test tubes have this white residue that I can’t clean. If anyone can answer this question I would greatly appreciate it.

CANant

Re: How do you clean a test tube?

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:14 am

CaptainAnt2005 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:25 am
Hello, my inquiry is about how does one clean test tubes? I ask this because I have tried to raise queens in the past but unfortunately none of them made it past winter here in Denver. Now all my test tubes have this white residue that I can’t clean. If anyone can answer this question I would greatly appreciate it.
Are your tubes plastic or glass? Do you have hard water? If so that can cause a white residue that is difficult to remove.
Vinegar works great for removing hard water stains. I am not sure what the vinegar would do to the plastic (is anything at all) so maybe test one out first. If they are glass they will be fine. Soak them in some vinegar (plain white vinegar is what I use) and the white residue should basically dissolve away. Then rinse the tubes after very well. I like to use a test tube brush or something similar (ie a soft bristles preferred) that will help make things even easier. Cotton swabs may work
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️