Ant hibernation question

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntLoverSLO

Ant hibernation question

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 am

This is my second year of ant keeping (I am an owner of a Lasius Niger colony) and my second ant hibernation, but I am experiencing some odd behaviour.

Last winter I put put my ants into hibernation at the beggining of December, as they already started to snuggle up for winter. I had no problems with them, all I had to do was keep them cold and gave them water.
But this year is different. They were still fairly active at the beggining of December, but I put them into hibernation anyway. I checked up on them often and even while on cold they were quite active. Today I took them off cold and am thinking of keeping them like this, as they don't seem to mind. I feed them regularely and give them water.

I am from southern Slovenia and our winters have been warmer than usual for the last few years, with this year probs being the warmest (it has gotten to the point, where you can walk outside in a hoodie, instead of it snowing outside this time of the year).
Could it be that the ants are somehow detecting this weather and thus adapting to it? :?:

Should I keep them like this, or put them back on cold?
I would love to hear some advice from anyone, as I am getting woried about my ants. :/

Sorry for making you read all this and for any spelling mistakes I might have made.

antperson24

Re: Ant hibernation question

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:11 pm

AntLoverSLO wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:57 am
This is my second year of ant keeping (I am an owner of a Lasius Niger colony) and my second ant hibernation, but I am experiencing some odd behaviour.

Last winter I put put my ants into hibernation at the beggining of December, as they already started to snuggle up for winter. I had no problems with them, all I had to do was keep them cold and gave them water.
But this year is different. They were still fairly active at the beggining of December, but I put them into hibernation anyway. I checked up on them often and even while on cold they were quite active. Today I took them off cold and am thinking of keeping them like this, as they don't seem to mind. I feed them regularely and give them water.

I am from southern Slovenia and our winters have been warmer than usual for the last few years, with this year probs being the warmest (it has gotten to the point, where you can walk outside in a hoodie, instead of it snowing outside this time of the year).
Could it be that the ants are somehow detecting this weather and thus adapting to it? :?:

Should I keep them like this, or put them back on cold?
I would love to hear some advice from anyone, as I am getting woried about my ants. :/

Sorry for making you read all this and for any spelling mistakes I might have made.
Maybe just leave them out until it does get cold.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN