HELP! I have no idea what this (possibly) semi claustral queen is doing!

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Hawkeye

Re: HELP! I have no idea what this (possibly) semi claustral queen is doing!

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:16 pm

First of all congratulations. Now a wild queen, suddenly placed into unfamiliar surroundings would probably always try to escape. I mean wouldn't you?

Second of course you have access to insects. They're everywhere except for the north and south pole probably. Just go outside lift a piece of rock/wood and you'll probably find isopods/snails/worms/larvae.
You could also leave a banana somewhere like your window sill or say somewhere outside on your way to work. When you'll come back I promise you it will have attracted insects. (Fruit) flies most likely, possibly even other ants and a whole bunch more. All you got to do is catch them, so happy hunting?

Third she won't eat more than she needs, so maybe she's just not hungry? She will eat and drink if she needs to.

Climbing to the highest point after shedding her wings sounds a bit odd to me, but maybe it's a species that lives in trees? Like a weaver ant?

All in all my advice would be: go catch some bugs, stick em in a freezer overnight. Thaw one of them and put it in her arena along with a drop of diluted (organic) honey. Then leave her alone for a week. After that week check if she has laid any eggs and if she ate.

Hawkeye

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Ooh and you can take pics with your phone. Upload them to an imgur account or something and then post them on the forum. Attaching pictures to your post won't work anyway.

idahoantgirl

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:08 am

If you can, get her identified on the forum. Semi claustral queens are often confused with male drones.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile