Moderator: ooper01

JoeHostile1

Re: can queen lay eggs without mating?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:14 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:23 am
JoeHostile1 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:10 am
I just want to point out that the term infertile is often used incorrectly in regards to ant keeping. Infertile means a female can not produce offspring. Therefore an infertile queen can not produce male drones or female workers.

The term your looking for is not mated or unfertilized. Which means the queen did not mate and therefore can not produce female workers, she can however produce male drones. An infertile queen may have indeed mated, but can still not produce workers or drones because she is infertile.
Sorry but no. Infertile queen's can lay dead eggs as food and drones. I saw bits on it here and there and then when you take Owen's comment into consideration it fills in the blanks. It makes sense too, why would a queen who has mated only lay drones and not workers? Logic is sadly flawed somewhere. In terms of ants they broke biology so do not go and try understand them completely because no one will. Unless they also found a way to break biology. Then yano, good for them o.o
Infertile is a word. Feel free to look it up. It’s definition isn’t up for debate.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

JoeHostile1

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 am

Also I never said an infertile queen can not lay trophic eggs. I also never said a mated queen can only produce male drones. In fact I said the complete opposite of that.

If you meant to say why would an un-mated queen only produce male drones it’s because she can only lay unfertilized eggs since she didn’t mate. And when ants lay unfertilized eggs they develop into male drones. That was the jist of clashes post. A queen that has mated and is also fertile decides if she is going to lay a fertilized egg which will develop into a female worker or if she is going to lay an unfertilized egg which will develop into a drone.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

Hunter36o

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Therefore an infertile queen can not produce male drones or female workers.
You kinda did even if you did not mean too.
And no that is not what I ment at all.

Terms for humans do not mean the same as it does for ants. Thus, ants broke biology. When it comes to ants, queen's have to mate to become fertile. I know the exact definition of the word but we are not in the human world anymore we are in the ants world. And they refer to queen's who have not mated as infertile. Why? I have no idea but if anyone has that answer please educate me as I would really like to know. I not saying it because I think it feels right I say it because science has said as such and until disproven science is always sound. I'm not trying to make stuff up to sound smart and I'm not trying to say I do not comprehend biology for any living creature, even more so when it comes to ants. and I'll never pretend to know anything outside of what science articles reviews interviews and studies have siad and I need to see multiple sources of them to even consider repeating it. Anything I say on this forum comes from multiple sources that repeat the same info which makes it reliable. Never will I repeat something that is only on one site.
If the science is wrong okay cool but show me and I'll believe with my hand held high and apologing for trusting the scientists that said what they said.
Officially caring for 5 Lasius colonies :D :D :D

Founding stage:
1x Myrmica Rubra with one worker

3 Lasius Niger colonies will be on sale AFTER hibernation.

JoeHostile1

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:00 am
JoeHostile1 wrote:
Therefore an infertile queen can not produce male drones or female workers.
You kinda did even if you did not mean too.
And no that is not what I ment at all.

And they refer to queen's who have not mated as infertile. Why? I have no idea but if anyone has that answer please educate me as I would really like to know.
The only people who refer to queens that are not mated as infertile are people who don’t know what the word infertile means.

Yup you’re never going to understand because you don’t understand what the word infertile means. Since I’ve already defined it for you there is no longer any point in me trying to explain it to you. You’re honestly trying to argue the definition of a word to me. Maybe you should write Webster’s dictionary and tell them your new definition.
Keeping:

Hunter36o

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:06 am

Oh wow I just told you that I know it's actual meaning but in the science community (not mine since I'm a designer not a biologist) they refer to it as infertile, I also told you that I do not know why but hey, not my place to make you open your eyes and read what is in front of your face but hey what do I know? All I did was spend countless of hours on forums, science arrivals, annoying zoologists, going to both experienced and no experienced keepers and so only for DAYS before I allowed myself to go into this hobby, but your right the whole science and ant community is wrong and your right. Maybe you should go and write the ants manual 2.0 and educate us all on your beloved ways.

Now, before you go reply. Do not go assuming to know someone's intelligence just because it does not fall into your gatagory of what is right or wrong.

Just one last REPEATED point. Ants to not follow normal biological laws and for some reason the SCIENCE community decided to use certain words and terms and as long as they hold qualifications and respect from all over the world. I will continue to listen to them until you can come along and prove them wrong to the point they put their hands up and bow to your oh so powerful knowledge of our world.
Officially caring for 5 Lasius colonies :D :D :D

Founding stage:
1x Myrmica Rubra with one worker

3 Lasius Niger colonies will be on sale AFTER hibernation.

JoeHostile1

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Still arguing the definition of a word eh? Wow you’re like 10 years old right? Like I’m going to spend this much time arguing with an un-teachable child. You argue with your teachers in school too? You have a really annoying personality.

Let me know what Webster’s dictionary says about your new definition of the word infertile.
Keeping:

ClashOwenBash

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:15 pm

It's just the confusion between scientific terminology and how words are used for general talk. So long as both people understand the issue (e.g. the queen is unmated) I have no problem with it.
Hibernating Lasius Niger, Lasius Flavus, and Myrmica Rubra. Zzz..