can queen lay eggs without mating?

Frequently Asked Questions About Ants

Moderator: ooper01

willyantkeeper

can queen lay eggs without mating?

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:45 am

hello ... I found this article http://ant.miyakyo-u.ac.jp/BE/Kingdom/2425/2425e.html it said the queen may or may not fertilize the eggs at will by using or not using (sperm), so can the queen lay eggs without mating?

JoeHostile1

Re: can queen lay eggs without mating?

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:11 am

Nearly every species if not all on the entire planet that lay eggs can lay eggs without mating. That’s how you can eat chicken eggs that have yolk inside them instead of a baby chick. Also female mammals (including humans) ovulate at their set times weather or not they have mated.

Many ant keepers catch queens that lay eggs, but the eggs don’t turn into larvae ever. One possible explanation among many is that the queen never mated.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

ClashOwenBash

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:49 am

Or the eggs eventually turn into winged male ants, which can happen for infertile queens.
Hibernating Lasius Niger, Lasius Flavus, and Myrmica Rubra. Zzz..

Hunter36o

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 am

I've always wondered are all's drones infertile eggs or are those just infertile drones?

It just would not make sense for it to even hatch if it was going to be obsolete? I feel a little mean using the word obsolete but considering drones literally have one purpose it would make little sense.
Officially caring for 5 Lasius colonies :D :D :D

Founding stage:
1x Myrmica Rubra with one worker

3 Lasius Niger colonies will be on sale AFTER hibernation.

ClashOwenBash

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:56 am

Hunter36o wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 am
I've always wondered are all's drones infertile eggs or are those just infertile drones?

It just would not make sense for it to even hatch if it was going to be obsolete? I feel a little mean using the word obsolete but considering drones literally have one purpose it would make little sense.
Ant genes work differently to our genes when it comes to gender. Instead of requiring an actual male sex gene (Y) or a female sex gene (X), ants use the amount of genes to determine the gender or morph of the ant. The queens and workers have a full set of ant DNA (half from the mother (the queen) and half from the father (the drone), however when a queen goes to lay an egg to produce a drone she only uses half the amount of DNA (e.i. an ant with half the amount of DNA develops into a drone), so there's no need for DNA from the father. Therefore drones only contain DNA of the queen. And so infertile queens can lay eggs which develope into drones. This is also why some ant sp, when the queen is dead, can have some of the infertile workers produce eggs containing drones in a last attempt to spread some genes.

That's the easiest way of explaining it.

Hunter36o

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:07 am

See now, Google needs to contact you. That is by far the best and on point explanation on this matter that I have come across.
This is infact the exact explanation I was looking/ hoping for, so many many thanks for this clarification.

I am sure countless of hours of looking I am sure I'd of found this eventually but at the same point it should not be that difficult to find these answers. It goes to show the lack of interest the overall population of earth has really no interest in ants if you consider Google priorities searches based of highest paying company to be top of the search list, then followed by overall interests of the world. Making it somewhat difficult to find what you are looking for.

Example. If you search "ants" while on Irish soil. You will get pages of pest control and a list of highest "infested" counties. (Our counties are the equivalent of America's states. Just muuuucch smaller. We have a mini island :) just not Hawaii small.) All Ireland is mostly concerned with in regards of ants is how to get rid of them :( thus making is incredibly difficult to find anything or anyone that hold useful ant keeping information. Some times I feel lonely in this hobby in regards to having face to face conversations with people. No one here seems to be interested in ants until I start talking historical facts but even so their attention goes quick enough :(

Founding stage:

ClashOwenBash

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:13 am

The last paragraph is soo true, even though I live in England.

JoeHostile1

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:10 am

I just want to point out that the term infertile is often used incorrectly in regards to ant keeping. Infertile means a female can not produce offspring. Therefore an infertile queen can not produce male drones or female workers.

The term your looking for is not mated or unfertilized. Which means the queen did not mate and therefore can not produce female workers, she can however produce male drones. An infertile queen may have indeed mated, but can still not produce workers or drones because she is infertile.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Hunter36o

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:11 am

It is so sad right? Such perfect creatures and people just dot them down as pests as that's it :(

Founding stage:

Hunter36o

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:23 am

JoeHostile1 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:10 am
I just want to point out that the term infertile is often used incorrectly in regards to ant keeping. Infertile means a female can not produce offspring. Therefore an infertile queen can not produce male drones or female workers.

The term your looking for is not mated or unfertilized. Which means the queen did not mate and therefore can not produce female workers, she can however produce male drones. An infertile queen may have indeed mated, but can still not produce workers or drones because she is infertile.
Sorry but no. Infertile queen's can lay dead eggs as food and drones. I saw bits on it here and there and then when you take Owen's comment into consideration it fills in the blanks. It makes sense too, why would a queen who has mated only lay drones and not workers? Logic is sadly flawed somewhere. In terms of ants they broke biology so do not go and try understand them completely because no one will. Unless they also found a way to break biology. Then yano, good for them o.o

Founding stage: