Trap Jaw Gamergates?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

eejayandeuan

Trap Jaw Gamergates?

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:51 pm

Good day everyone!

I read somewhere that some trap jaws are known to have gamergates. I found a colony here in my city in the Philippines (Ondotomachus Simillimus, I guess), and I'm wondering if I could collect just enough number to raise a new colony without a queen. Thanks!

ClashOwenBash

Re: Trap Jaw Gamergates?

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:05 am

eejayandeuan wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:51 pm
Good day everyone!

I read somewhere that some trap jaws are known to have gamergates. I found a colony here in my city in the Philippines (Ondotomachus Simillimus, I guess), and I'm wondering if I could collect just enough number to raise a new colony without a queen. Thanks!
Gamergates work a lot like monogyne queens. As they try to ensure their the only reproducing ant. Therefore you would need to collect the whole colony so you don't miss the gamergate.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

eejayandeuan

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:27 am

Thanks, *** SPAM ***!

I also found this study http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.186.7671&rep=rep1&type=pdf

It was actually done in the mid-90's! The study says that when Odontomachus Simillimus are orphaned, some of the younger workers will acquire strongly developed ovaries and lay eggs! I'm excited to try this one and see if my experiment works. =)

Or is there anyone among you who has already tried this?

AntsDakota

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:21 pm

eejayandeuan wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:27 am
Thanks, *** SPAM ***!

I also found this study http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.186.7671&rep=rep1&type=pdf

It was actually done in the mid-90's! The study says that when Odontomachus Simillimus are orphaned, some of the younger workers will acquire strongly developed ovaries and lay eggs! I'm excited to try this one and see if my experiment works. =)

Or is there anyone among you who has already tried this?
You will need males from another nest in order for the gamergate to lay mated eggs. Unmated eggs will develop into males and the colony will die. (The gamergate cannot mate with her own sons)
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

eejayandeuan

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi AntsDakota! The study concluded this:

"male production in the absence of the queen was performed by only a limited portion of the workers."

But, yes, I will consider your advice. Thank you so much! :)