Lasius Niger hibernation.

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Hunter36o

Lasius Niger hibernation.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:04 pm

So it's coming up to the end of September and I noticed my fastest growing colony does look like there are any eggs left since I moved them into a clean set up. I guess with the time of year it could be normal and it is also possible I cannot simply see the eggs beneath the cluster of different staged larvae in the test tube.
I just want to make sure it is a normal for the queen to stop laying eggs when she knows hibernation is around the corner. Also what survives hibernation? I know the ants do but brood wise is there any stage that will not survive the coming winter?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

TheRealAntMan

Re: Lasius Niger hibernation.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Hunter36o wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:04 pm
So it's coming up to the end of September and I noticed my fastest growing colony does look like there are any eggs left since I moved them into a clean set up. I guess with the time of year it could be normal and it is also possible I cannot simply see the eggs beneath the cluster of different staged larvae in the test tube.
I just want to make sure it is a normal for the queen to stop laying eggs when she knows hibernation is around the corner. Also what survives hibernation? I know the ants do but brood wise is there any stage that will not survive the coming winter?
Eggs, pupae, and sometimes immature larvae don't survive hibernation.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.