Lateish flight for Lasius Niger.

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Hunter36o

Lateish flight for Lasius Niger.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:02 am

Okay so my question is for L. Niger. They had a lateish flight and compared to my current set of queen's who most are at pupae stages. Some of which I expect workers to arrive any day now, but it's September!! Is it not too late for these new queen's to start a colony before winter? If so will they survive hibernation with out workers? Also will I need to give these queen's some extra care for preparation for the winter?
I know some ants will wait until after winter to begin the founding stage but when reading about all that nothing was mentioned about L. Niger as they normally fly earlier in the year (which they did). I am just worried if I do the normal set up for them and it is not enough because they are not preparing for brood but for winter. Please help me?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

ClashOwenBash

Re: Lateish flight for Lasius Niger.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Just look after them like usual (which includes hibernation). My L.Niger colony started from a late queen who laid eggs, then entered hibernation, after which ate her eggs (which I think died), relayed and successful raised her first workers. By the time it came back to hibernation she had 30-35 workers (v.fast growing sp). Most queens will just lay after hibernation.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

Hunter36o

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:54 am

Ah okay perfect I was not sure but this has cleared it all up thank you :D
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntsDakota

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Lasius claviger and umbratus had nuptial flights in mid September, which surprised me.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25