Can ants climb glass walls?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

oboethefish

Can ants climb glass walls?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:11 am

Can tetramorium immigrans climb glass walls? There are also invasive myrmica rubra colonies in my area and can they climb walls? I know that they build nests on the ground and are mostly terrestrial but don't want them killing my pets. (nano fish, pavement ants, red isopods)

ClashOwenBash

Re: Can ants climb glass walls?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:28 am

Most ants can climb glass. Myrmica Rubra can definitely climb glass (I know from experience). I normally assume that my ants can climb so I always but a layer of babypowder or Ant-i-slip just to be safe. Myrmica Rubra won't be a massive problem as I find they try to stay away from houses as they like there nests very humid.
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

idahoantgirl

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Tetramorium are fairly good at escaping, so yes, they can. I found babypowder+ rubbing alcohol to be ineffective. Plain dry baby powder dabbed onto the sides of the outworld with a cotton ball works perfect though. I'm sure PTFE (insectaslip) would work as well.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

oboethefish

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:29 pm

*** SPAM *** wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:28 am
Most ants can climb glass. Myrmica Rubra can definitely climb glass (I know from experience). I normally assume that my ants can climb so I always but a layer of babypowder or Ant-i-slip just to be safe. Myrmica Rubra won't be a massive problem as I find they try to stay away from houses as they like there nests very humid.
Thanks, the climate in my area has been unusally humid and warm (35c) this year so thanks alot for the quick reply. :)