Starting ant keeping

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

sunzone

Starting ant keeping

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Hello :)

I have watched a great deal of the youtube video, and just fell in love with the paludariums with ants and fish (had fish for the most of my life), but im wondering if I can use an old aquarium for the setup ? or if i need a freshly made one ?

also about thee silicone, im worried at the ants will eat their way of though it, or am i just being paranoid ?

im thinking about getting either Fireants, yellow crazy ants or bullet ants of asia (not sure if they can adapt to the large bodie of water), but i'll read up on them before i choose one :)

idahoantgirl

Re: Starting ant keeping

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:27 pm

Are you thinking a natural dirt set up?
The issue with aquariums is that they can often climb the corners where there is sillicone.
If you can use an aquarium, then just make sure it is clean.
Fire ants are pretty difficult to keep. I have heard that they can chew through silicon. Bullet ants? Yeah.... that's not going to happen very easily... Also what do you mean by adapt to the large body of water? :)
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Thorond0r

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 am

sunzone wrote:

im thinking about getting either Fireants, yellow crazy ants or bullet ants of asia (not sure if they can adapt to the large bodie of water), but i'll read up on them before i choose one :)
I see you are from Denmark, so why are you only thinking about non-native species if i may ask? Is it not possible to make a paludarium using native ants?
First year of antkeeping, already enjoying it!

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

Still hoping to find a Formica queen.

sunzone

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:29 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:27 pm
Are you thinking a natural dirt set up?
The issue with aquariums is that they can often climb the corners where there is sillicone.
If you can use an aquarium, then just make sure it is clean.
Fire ants are pretty difficult to keep. I have heard that they can chew through silicon. Bullet ants? Yeah.... that's not going to happen very easily... Also what do you mean by adapt to the large body of water? :)
The idea was part water and part dirt :) like a amazon biome
Thorond0r wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 am
sunzone wrote:

I see you are from Denmark, so why are you only thinking about non-native species if i may ask? Is it not possible to make a paludarium using native ants?
The idea is making a amazon biome, with only native plants and species (both ants and fish)

Thorond0r

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 am

The idea is making a amazon biome, with only native plants and species (both ants and fish)

Ah oke sounds cool! Would love to see some pics when you are finished ;)
I have some tropical terrariums myself... also wanted to turn them into paludariums with lots of water, sadly my gecko's are very poor swimmers xD
First year of antkeeping, already enjoying it!

Currently founding:

Lasius niger
Lasius umbratus
Lasius flavus

Still hoping to find a Formica queen.