Aphids

Here we curate the wealth of ant keeping knowledge, experiences, and posts of ant keepers of various experiences levels, geographical locations, and specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

SolenopsisKeeper

Aphids

Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:08 am

Hello!
If I find a plant with tons of aphids, and caltipillars, how long do I need to raise the aphids until they are pesticide free?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Antloverhuman

Re: Aphids

Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:02 am

I think you will have to get them inside and give them a special enclosure to ensure no other pesticides from outside come. Then you will have to wait maybe a couple of months of raising them and feed some to wild colonies and see if they have any effects on them
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:31 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:02 am
I think you will have to get them inside and give them a special enclosure to ensure no other pesticides from outside come. Then you will have to wait maybe a couple of months of raising them and feed some to wild colonies and see if they have any effects on them
A “special enclosure”, as a can with plants they usually eat? I can grow the plants from seeds, and will Camponotus farm aphids or eat them.

Antloverhuman

Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:12 am

Yeah a can will work. I don't know if they will eat the aphids but maybe one worker ant will discover that their poop is tasty and all other ants will stop eating them and eat the sweet poo :lol:
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:26 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:12 am
Yeah a can will work. I don't know if they will eat the aphids but maybe one worker ant will discover that their poop is tasty and all other ants will stop eating them and eat the sweet poo :lol:
Just imagine.
Ants: A fresh kill on the farm for some meat. This is our last 2 so we have no more food and need to wait for babies. Eat their poop? Yum!

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:08 am
Hello!
If I find a plant with tons of aphids, and caltipillars, how long do I need to raise the aphids until they are pesticide free?
I would say, if you have a plant that you grew and they like, you could move some over and see if they increase in number. That way they will be pesticide free at some point. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.