Hybrid nest worker amount

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

OttoIsTheOrange

Hybrid nest worker amount

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:19 pm

How many workers should a colony have before being added to the hybrid nest 2.0 or any hybrid nest because I am interested in it for my Tetramorium colony and I want to know how’s my workers they should be at before I buy it. All advise would be helpful thanks!
Been ant keeping for 1 full year now and have 1 successful Tetramorium sp. E colony, 2 Lasius flavus queens, and 1 Lasius neoniger queen! Even though I’m fairly new, I’m passionate about the hobby and appreciate much advise!

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Hybrid nest worker amount

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:06 am

OttoIsTheOrange wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:19 pm
How many workers should a colony have before being added to the hybrid nest 2.0 or any hybrid nest because I am interested in it for my Tetramorium colony and I want to know how’s my workers they should be at before I buy it. All advise would be helpful thanks!
For Tetramorium, I would suggest at least 50 workers before offering them a formicarium. They should be fine in a simple test tube setup or a test tube plus Test Tube Portal setup until then.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

OttoIsTheOrange

Re: Hybrid nest worker amount

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks! They are currently in the test tube setup with a portal slowly growing their colony. They should reach this point before hibernation time so I will purchase the hybrid nest this summer!
Been ant keeping for 1 full year now and have 1 successful Tetramorium sp. E colony, 2 Lasius flavus queens, and 1 Lasius neoniger queen! Even though I’m fairly new, I’m passionate about the hobby and appreciate much advise!