What to use for Camponotus caryae?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

MarketTree

What to use for Camponotus caryae?

Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:32 pm

I have a fairly healthy colony of Camponotus caryae that I actually found living in an old stick last spring. Since then, I’ve kept the stick pieces in a terrarium and they’ve been thriving nicely. However, I believe they’re probably starting to outgrow the current nesting area.

I’ve thought that I could get the normal Camponotus Hybrid Nest, but considering Camponotus caryae are about half the size of Camponotus pennsylvanicus, I didn’t know if that would be too big for them.

Of course, the worst case scenario is that it would be too roomy and they just wouldn’t move in, but I also don’t want to waste my money.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: What to use for Camponotus caryae?

Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:36 am

MarketTree wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:32 pm
I have a fairly healthy colony of Camponotus caryae that I actually found living in an old stick last spring. Since then, I’ve kept the stick pieces in a terrarium and they’ve been thriving nicely. However, I believe they’re probably starting to outgrow the current nesting area.

I’ve thought that I could get the normal Camponotus Hybrid Nest, but considering Camponotus caryae are about half the size of Camponotus pennsylvanicus, I didn’t know if that would be too big for them.

Of course, the worst case scenario is that it would be too roomy and they just wouldn’t move in, but I also don’t want to waste my money.

Thanks a lot for your advice!
Can we get a worker estimate? Most ants living in natural setups since founding have a hard time adjusting to tubes and or artificial nest. My Camponotus just started to adjust, and I caught a queen and a few workers in January…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…