Leptomyrmex erythrocephalus

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

laned101

Leptomyrmex erythrocephalus

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:02 pm

Initially, I'd like to thank Mikey for his great channel and, just for, well, just being him. Your enthusiasm and warmheartedness is inspiring, the worlds you create and your attention to detail with regards to specific requirements for each species is beautiful to see and gives me hope for the human race :).

I am pretty new to ant keeping but have been fascinated by insects and well, generally life on this planet for my entire life. Growing up in the subtropics I was lucky enough to experience a wide variety of life. From the Indian ocean and its marvels to the land crabs and giant African snails in my back yard.

Now I live in the UK and photograph insects and the like (https://www.jungledragon.com/user/1715/darryl_lane.html) as often as I can. I am hoping to get some new equipment to replace my previous (including some 4k video hardware) equipment which I had to part with about a year ago.

I currently have a small Lasius Niger colony (along with my 5 year old daughter), and am interested in keeping 'Leptomyrmex erythrocephalus'. I am aware there is some stigma around keeping none native species, mostly due to potential damages if they were to escape (native species displacement etc). I have thought about this quite a lot and have "researched" (I use this word loosely, I mean read what and watched what I could find online and in books). I feel I am able to give them a great home and care, as well as share this with people in hopes to inspire them as you have me.

I recently purchased and received an 'All You Need' kit from the AntsCanada Store (thanks guys, kit looks great!). I have been looking online for some information on the usage of the nest. I saw a couple of Mikey's videos where he has cotton wool in the bottom of the nest, where he tops this up with water when required. I wondered how other AC family members are using these? Do you use some other medium other than cotton wool?

I ordered a Lasius Hybrid nest which I dont think I will need for my lasius anymore, I was hoping to repurpose it for the L. erythrocephalus.

Id love your thoughts.

cjerg9

Re: Leptomyrmex erythrocephalus

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:09 pm

I don’t really now much about AC nests however some people do like to use sponges instead of cotton balls as a hydration source (just make sure they are chemical free) I’m not sure if you received this with your kit but you can see in this picture here https://www.AntsCanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Solenopsis-Hybrid-Nest-2.jpg

It looks like it has two hydration points on either side but I could be wrong. That’s the only issues I find with AC nests their hydration system is kinda fiddly. Ytong nests are good for this as they absorb water better than plastic. If those are hydration points I’d place sponges next to them. You really only need hydration in the nest as ants are used to experiencing different weathers in the outside so for this case the Outworld.

laned101

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:35 am

Hi

The hydration point (where you insert the water into the system) is the large tray you can see at the top of the nest as seen in the illustration you supplied.

The smalls holes in the nest surface allow for the moisture to pass into the nest. Please let me know if this doesn't make sense, I am happy to take some pictures and upload them to illustrate.

cjerg9

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:36 am

Oh that’s fair enough. Kinda makes sense to me I’m horrible when it comes to visualising designs unfortunately but pretty sure I get what you mean. I’d definitely place some sponges or cotton near them if you could as the plastic doesn’t absorb the water very well. Hopefully that may help.

Alaydia

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:13 am

I love cotton balls because they're safe, cheap, and easy to change out. The watering couldn't be easier, just top off the level in the tray.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.