hybrid nest mini

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

avantasia

hybrid nest mini

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Can I grow camponotus species in a hybrid nest mini?

Currently, the initial colony of Camponotus japonicus is raised.

JDub420

Re: hybrid nest mini

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:39 am

I would also like to know this. After a test tube portal setup for Campo's, what's next? I was under the impression that the hybrid nest mini had tunnels too thin for large campo's but could be wrong. I know the regular sized hybrid nest is too large until there is a decent sized colony already.

NKantsalberta

Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:26 pm

Honestly I would start with a test tube portal, with an added tube, then move on to a larger nest. The mini will be too small for carpenters. IE; for the queen, and once majors arrived. I would use them for my Lasius, myrmica and formica however.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

JDub420

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:51 pm

But what nest after using a couple tubes with the portal? I would think the regular hybrid nest would be too big. The omni nests are basically dynamic with how you can block off areas, but they're pretty much all out of stock and have not seen/heard when they might be back, if at all.

NKantsalberta

Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:40 am

In the end, its up to you. I would leave them a choice when attaching the nest, either they stay in a test tube, or they move into the mini. They'll find a spot that most suits them, campos do squeeze into narrow chambers in wood in the wild. I keep mine in plaster formicaria with one large chamber so I do not have hands on experience with them in AC nests. If youre worried about them using the excess space of the larger hybrid nests for waste, keep the test tube portal attached, and they in theory should bring their waste out into it, especially if you use one already and empty it out frequently. Campos like a nice clean house.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

QJH2023

Re: nest mini

Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:38 am

JDub420 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:51 pm
But what nest after using a couple tubes with the portal? I would think the regular hybrid nest would be too big. The omni nests are basically dynamic with how you can block off areas, but they're pretty much all out of stock and have not seen/heard when they might be back, if at all.
I just bought the regular sized hybrid nest and I just let them get to 30 workers and it was fine and then 3 months later they had 200+ workers so yeah...
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile